MSR XGK-EX

Cook anywhere anytime on any fuel. I bought my XGK…

Summary

Cook anywhere anytime on any fuel.

Pros

• Burns most fuels to include kersene and gas

Cons

• Needs an adjustable flame for simmering
  • Bit loud in a tactical environment

I bought my XGK several years ago while in the military. It proved invaluable to heat up coffee during winter training. We never had to worry about packing in fuel bottles or humping them in our rucks due to the ability to burn many types of fuel we had available.

During the coldest days of winter this powerhouse could rapidly boil water for our coffee and be counted on to cook when we were far removed from chow facilities.

This a great stove. Boils water super duper fast.

This a great stove. Boils water super duper fast. Great for a big stew or boiling water quickly. There is no simmer control so if you are looking for adjustment in the heat level this is not what you want to use (flame is similar to the space shuttle SRB's).

This stove is also fairly loud. We take three stoves with us on our wilderness trips. This one for the large pot and two smaller more controllable stoves for our coffee and for cooking with more control. Built very solid.

What can I say about this stove other than it has…

Summary

What can I say about this stove other than it has lasted over 25 years of hard use and is still working.

Improvements have been made over the years but it's still the same essential stove. I used the XGK on many of my expeditions lasting 6 months and more and it has never let me down.

Light weight, burns hot, and is easily field maintainable. More gear should be made this tough.

This is the king of stoves! I have owned this stove…

This is the king of stoves! I have owned this stove for several years now and had no problems with it. If you want boiling water and want it now than this is the stove for you. It is easy to use and very reliable. It won't simmer no matter what you do with the fuel control but when you are tired and want to eat, who cares about simmering.

I've used it for one year so far from -30c to +10c…

Price Paid: 125$

I've used it for one year so far from -30c to +10c and it works great! I'm in an intensive guiding program so I get to use tons of different stoves every week (and fix them and curse) and this one is by far the easiest, most reliable and hottest stove I've tried.

The fuel intake line is rather big so it does take a minute at maximum output to properly heat the tube and stop that annoying tiny little yellow flame coming from beside the jet. It doesn't change anything really, I just like it when it shines blue and red, it's a beauty on frozen mornings.

You can make it simmer thanks to the extra long fuel line. Give it a half-turn open for 2 seconds every minute or so and voila! The long fuel line is also useful for cooking indoors. You can put the stove outside and keep the controls inside.

That's where it loses its half star. There is really just 2 settings with this stove: full on or off. I guess this is the price to pay for reliability.

So if you need to convert cubic meters of snow in steaming water fast, look no further. After around 5 gallons of white gas burned the stove looks brand new and doesn't have the slightest hint of carbon in the lines. It never put out anything less than the first time I used it and I've never cleaned it, no need!

This is the last stove I'll ever own, I hope.

I haven't used many stoves. The XGK definitely boils…

Price Paid: can't remember

I haven't used many stoves. The XGK definitely boils water. I'm concerned that I can't seem to disconnect the fuel bottle from the stove without getting white gas all over my hands.

Has to be one of the best pieces of gear ever made.

Price Paid: ???

Has to be one of the best pieces of gear ever made. Had one for 22 years. Boils water in a flash, lots of noise when working but always works.

Not for people who abuse their gear or cannot fix things in the field as the stove does need to be taken care of.

This is a great stove. I have used it for several…

This is a great stove. I have used it for several years and never had a problem until the other day. I loaned it to a friend who broke the pump handle stuffing it in his pack. I really mean stuffing it in his pack. The stove is very easy to clean in the field, it is a true 'shaker' stove.

It does not simmer well, but MSR's new pumps says it gives the stove better simmering abilities, but I haven't tried the new pump yet. The stove reminds me of working at an airport. The stove sounds like a jet taking off it is so loud.

Highly recommended!

For winter camping this stove gets five stars. I have…

Price Paid: About $80 in 1980

For winter camping this stove gets five stars. I have had this stove for 24 years and it has never let me down. It's a blow torch for heating water, though not so sensitive for cooking.

My experience has all been with Coleman fuel, so I have never used the stove's multi-fuel potential. This has been a very trustworthy stove, thats important when conditional are 'full'.