MTI Thunder R Spec

Thick, buoyant vest with a lot of great pockets. Can…

Summary

Thick, buoyant vest with a lot of great pockets. Can be used for multiple paddling sports.

Pros

• Pockets
  • Buoyancy
  • Quick release belt

Cons

• Higher profile
  • Too thick

My review of this is somewhat inconclusive as I have yet to be able to paddle in this. I plan on using the vest for whitewater kayaking. From what I can tell so far however is it is not as low profile as I would have liked, as it is super thick to the point of having difficulty zipping it (but this could be fixed by more wear of it and getting it wet).

I think it is overall a great vest, and it has some nice cross over features as it can also be used for sea kayaking. I like all of the little pockets, especially the handwarming pockets. As far as I can tell it also has excellent construction.

I got a great deal on this vest and overall it looks like a great vest, however for white-water paddling I would have preferred something with a lower profile.

If you've owned or used a MTI Thunder R Spec, please share your experience.