Mystery Ranch G5000

The main reason I got this bag was because I have…

Design: top load internal
Size: 5000-5500 ci
Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 80 lb (seen it with a person in the back 140lbs)
Height of Owner: 5'9"

The main reason I got this bag was because I have a VERY bad back and this bag offers a comfortable, well balanced fit. I tried TNF, Sierra Designs, Kelty, Arc'teryx, and Gregory backpacks. They all put pressure on my back. I got it directly from from the Bozeman Store (the guy owned Dana Design for years).

It is CamelBak adaptable and the top comes of as a daypack. The stitching is strong and durable (I happen to be a seamstress) and the adjustment for torso size is easy to do (adjustment tool comes with). Once adjusted it locks into place! The lifetime guarantee helps swallowing the price a bit.

I've taken this bag with me on several overnight adventures and my back has yet to complain. It is pretty hard to not balance this bag with its design. Our next trek is going to be in Hawaii this summer and I am definitely taking my bag with me.

This is not the pack for gram counting weenies. The…

Design: top loader internal
Size: 5000 cubics
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 65lbs
Height of Owner: 75 ins.

This is not the pack for gram counting weenies. The slogan "tools, not toys!" says it all. If you need a pack to go to remote areas and not worry about your load carrying, then look no further. This pack is made in America and it shows! Put your sleeping bag in a Sea to Summit sil-nylon compression sack and your spare clothes, tent, and food in 3 more sil-nylon sacks, arrange everything inside the pack in 2 vertical columns with the food bag across the top inside, crank down on all the load control straps, and you are good to go!

If you've owned or used a Mystery Ranch G5000, please share your experience.

Mystery Ranch G5000

The Mystery Ranch G5000 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 4, 2006 at US Outdoor Store.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.