Nalgene Oasis Canteen

Holds as much water as the normal round, traditional…

Holds as much water as the normal round, traditional Nalgene but fits much better in the side pockets of my backpack and doesn't bulge into the backpack as much, thereby reducing the inside volume of the backpack.

• 32 oz volume like the traditional round Nalgene bottles
  • Better ergonomic fit for backpack side pockets
  • Durable, flexible material, BPA free
  • Variety of colors
  • Lighter than the traditional Nalgene bottles

• Not as lightweight as recycled "single-use" water bottles

I've been using a couple of these for the last year in place of my traditional round Nalgene bottles.  Their design fits better in the side pockets of my backpack, especially my 28L Marmot day pack.

Even though they looker smaller, they actually hold as much water as the traditional round Nalgene but their design minimizes the bulge to the inside of my backpack caused by the traditional design.  The spout is also smaller which is convenient for my Steripen water sterilizer. I do not have to carry the extra part that fits over the larger mouthed round Nalgenes.

Lastly, these canteens are lighter:

• 134 grams / 4 4/5 oz  for the canteen versus 184 grams / 6 1/2 oz for the round version

For the person looking to shave a few ounces but doesn't use the recycled, thin plastic single use water bottles, this is a good option to consider.

I'm surprised these haven't taken off more. When I read your opening summary, I thought "Duh! That makes so much sense." I personally use Platypus bottles, which accomplish the same thing, and are a few ounces lighter.

Same here Goose. I hardly even see them in the stores. I found these at a Army/Navy Surplus store.

Interesting, i will check these out!