Nevados Holbrook

I've had them for a year now and they've held up great.

Break-in Period: 25 miles

I've had them for a year now and they've held up great. Not the best when hiking on rocks but overall a great shoe if you get some cheap insoles.

I was looking for a hiking shoe light enough and breathable…

Use: Backpacking
Break-in Period: 1 week short dayhikes
Weight: light

I was looking for a hiking shoe light enough and breathable for backpacking in Hawaii, went to a store that had a sale and tried on some shoes. The best feeling pair that looked like they would work out happened to be Nevados Holbrook, and on sale at $19.99 if they didn't work out... oh well.

But, not only did they work out, they were awesome. I went on a 10 mile one way hike from Waipio Valley to Waimanu Valley via the Muliwai trail. Extreme ups and downs over rock, across streams and two rivers, with a 50lb pack. I felt at times like I wasn't up to the task, muscle pains, near cramping etc, but the one thing that was good was my feet.

Hawaii hiking is notorious for testing a shoe, the lava rock will wear down the soles of some shoes immediately, not these ones. I walked through a river, the shoes took the test without feeling soggy, and dried out the next day laying in the sun, with no ill effects. The hike out was a pleasure as well, with the last mile down a steep grade of rocks, and my feet were still not complaining. I found a bargain and wanted to turn others on to it. Enjoy!

Nevados Holbrook

The Nevados Holbrook is not available from the stores we monitor.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016