New Balance MT1110

Excellent trail runner. I love these shoes. They are…

Summary

Excellent trail runner.

Pros

• Super Breathable
  • Rock plate
  • Minimalist 4mm Drop
  • Great grip

Cons

• Snagging on roots can rip the perforated vented material

I love these shoes. They are minimalist and super lightweight while having a nice rock plate, pretty much a necessity on rougher terrain.

A lot of the trails here in the ADK's that I run on are quite eroded from traffic, especially in the high peaks, so the rocky terrain is a little rough for something like FiveFingers or the MT00. The rock plate helps to mitigate some of the pressure of coming down on the occasional sharp rock or root/sapling stump. Ground feel is still there, and sensory feedback is not completely lost.

The 4mm drop is great. My road shoes are the MR00 and I honestly can't tell the difference in drop. The traction is great on everything from mud to rock scrambling. I usually descend at a good pace, 6-7:00 mile depending on terrain so I am not easy on my shoes. These have held up great. They breath and shed water well, and are fairly durable.

The one downside to these is that the material used for the upper is pretty strong, but they perforated area on the toe for venting is susceptible to being torn if you run in an area with a lot of roots sticking out of the trails. I hooked one foot on a cedar root and put about a half inch hole in the upper.  A little guerrilla glue and it's good to go.  I bought the MT110WR for winter training I liked these so much.

If you've owned or used a New Balance MT1110, please share your experience.

New Balance MT1110

The New Balance MT1110 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 8, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.