Nike Air Zoom Steens III

Hey All Just bought these and have completed a few…

Materials: Synthetic - Not XCR Version
Use: Varied Trails w/ short road sections
Break-in Period: Few Days
Weight: 0.680 kg
Price Paid: $140 Canadian

Hey All

Just bought these and have completed a few 3- 5km runs in them in primarily horrific conditions. Mid-February, in a Southwestern Ontario Snowbelt means -15c, dirty windchill, and lots of deep snow to contend with (almost wish I had grabbed the Gore-tex version).

Pros: Even with the nasty conditions and NO gore-tex these uppers shed the junk well and the Soles were as grippy on Snow, Slush and Ice as any un-modified shoe I've worn. I'm a stocky 5'9, 185lbs with pretty flat stumps but only mild pronation and these booties are the bomb for me. They are more stable than previous versions but feel like they are jacked up a little in the heel (I feel this is helping me on hills). This may be due to the low-riding hybrid trail shoes I was using previous. That said, these babies run pretty smooth on pavement too. I even ripped out 5k on the treadmill, breaking them in on a -25c day , without my legs feeling any heavier than my roadies.

The Cons - This shoe took a little more break-in than I wanted. No Blisters, but the more aggressive stability left my archs really sore after the first few runs. They are a little too stiff for my liking so the heelcup doesn't quite suck your heel into it as well as I would like.

Conclusion: This is a Trail Shoe with an ALL-BUSINESS mid-sole and grippy outsole and a junk-shedding lightweight upper.
This shoe doesn't suffer from lunker-foot (all the weight- below your feet). Likely, thanks to the heel air-sole and zoom air unit up front. For the larger, runner or the more dedicated trail afficionado this boot will make you smile.

If you are a smaller female or just a skinny little dude you might want something less stiff and beefy.

Listen to my footsteps.

A well rounded option for trail running's signature varied terrain, the Nike Air Zoom Steens III men's trail running shoe offers great grip when the route is muddy and a smooth underfoot ride when faced with miles of rocky trail. Ideal for the runner with a medium frame and mild pronation, the Nike Air Zoom Steens III trail running shoe supplies medium cushioning and mild foot stabilizing correction, thus making it adaptable to a wide population of trail runners. The upper's durable outer frame and anatomical innersleeve construction keep the foot centered over the sticky rubber outsole even when the trail fades to an unmaintained boot path. Above the sticky rubber, midsole Air-Sole heel cushioning and a low profile Zoom Air forefoot cushioning unit take the edge off unforgiving bedrock and jarring descents. The Nike Air Zoom Steens III trail running shoe also features Nike's hallmark Waffle Blade traction pattern, aggressive lugs that in combination with the sticky rubber and BRS 1000 carbon and rubber heel outsole materials offer positive grip for steep ascents and narrow traverses.

- Altrec Outdoors

Nike Air Zoom Steens III

The Air Zoom Steens III has been discontinued.

The Nike Air Zoom Steens III is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 29, 2007 at Altrec Outdoors.