Northern Lights PCT
Price Paid: $19.95
I was not looking for a new stove when I bought my PCT but the EMS at a local mall was moving and they were having a sale, so the price "I" paid was great! However, after using this stove I must say that the regular retail price would still be a good value.
I live in eastern PA (USA) and I hike on the AT and other local trails. I also canoe and kayak on the Lehigh and Delaware rivers. I own a number of stoves and the PCT has been on many trips with me over the last 3 yrs.
1. The PCT is self igniting! This is my first self lighting stove and I now wonder why I waited so long to get one.
2. It compacts well and when folded and in its box it nests perfectly in my Snow Peak 3pc titanium cook set. (this was my main reason for buying the PCT)
3. Easy to use, just screw on a cartridge turn the knob and press the button. No pumping, priming or waiting.
4. Pot stability is good for small cook sets. Works great with my mini espresso maker.
5. The flame adjustment is excellent and the output is impressive for it's size.
1. Cold weather performance was a little disappointing. Once on a cold morning (temp.in the low 20s F) on the AT it failed to light. Also on a kayak trip the fuel cartridge was packed low in the boat and had cooled to river temperature and had to be warmed to get the stove to light. I have learned these are common issues with cartridge stoves in general.
2. Dirt tends to collect at the hinge points where the pot supports attach to the frame making it harder to fold up. But extra attention to cleaning the stove completely solves this.
3. The PCT has no wind screen, but there are plenty of those on the market.
Overall I really like this stove. It's my favorite for short trips and after 3 years of steady use it's not showing any signs of wear other than heat discoloration.
Where to Buy
The Northern Lights PCT is not available from the stores we monitor.
You may be able to find it new or used at one of these sites:
Or you may want to check for a dealer list or direct sales on the Northern Lights website.
Retailers: Do you sell this product? List your site here.
Here's what other sites are saying:
The Northern Lights PCT stove is designed to keep you energized from the ground up.
- Backcountry Outlet
A thru-hiker's trail buddy. Weighs 6.5 ounces (without fuel). Best use: backpacking and mountaineering. Burns butane and iso-butane/propane canister fuel. Folds down to almost nothing (3.5 x 1.75 x 1.75 inches). Folding wire pot supports. Easily adjusts from a simmer to a roar. Max output of 9,000 BTUs. Zero-fuss push-button piezo ignition. Consumes 1.4 (minimum) to 3.7 ounces (maximum) of fuel per hour. Hard-shell storage case included.