NRS Extreme SAR Drysuit

It is what it says it is — an EXTREME search and…

Summary

It is what it says it is — an EXTREME search and rescue drysuit!

Pros

• Durability
  • Visibility
  • Warmth

Cons

• Difficult to get feet into neoprene overboots

I work on a Fire Department Swift Water Rescue Team. Because of my familiarity with drysuits from my Dive Rescue experience the chief asked me to choose a drysuit for the team.

I chose this one for a number of reasons foremost amongst those was the welded seams. Most kayaking drysuit come with taped seams and I just didn't feel that would stand up to the demanding use of our rescue team.

Other features are the glow-in-the-dark sleeve patches, the durable cordura construction, and the team size concept. There are 21 personnel on the team and each has his own suit.

These suits are subjected to a lot of abuse as we search the banks of our river on shore as much as we search in the water. There have been very few leaks due to thorn punctures and what have you and those have been easily repaired. There has been only one gasket seal and that was because the idiot trimming the seal was not familiar with how to cut a neck seal. There has been one boot failure and again the guy was in a hurry to get his foot out and tore the boot.

Other than that these suits have seen a lot of hard use and we expect a lot more use before they need to be replaced. We do treat the seals regularly with 303 and replenish the DWR from time to time but this is a great suit. I own my own private one for my recreational kayaking and can't think of a better suit.