Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

Ok, this stuff is the deal. This stuff was invented…

Price Paid: It's not expensive

Summary

Ok, this stuff is the deal.

Pros

• Effective
  • Protects
  • Extends boot life
  • Waterproofs

Cons

• I didn't find it 30 years ago

This stuff was invented by a North Idaho forest fire fighter. That's where I was and what I was doing when I discovered this stuff back in 1996.

In the five years I fought wildland fire I tromped through fire, ash, planted trees in spring rains, crossed creeks and slogged through knee-deep mud and as long as I wasn't actually working in the creek all day, my feet stayed pretty dry and gave me no blisters. Some guys used boots with WPB liners and cheap boot grease and my leather logger boots with LP stayed dry longer.  Today I use it on work and leather hiking boots.

I grew up in the Seattle area trying really hard to keep my feet dry with very little success.  I have used mink oil (terrible), pure lanolin (not bad), sno-seal, pure bees wax (a close 2nd), and silicone (smelly) and this is the real deal. I also use it on any leather that needs moistened, softened or waterproofed.

Don't expect anything to permanently waterproof boots. This will not give you the same protection of rubber boots.

I don't usually melt it; the heat from your fingers applying it is usually good enough though once in a while I set them near the wood stove (3-4 feet away, no closer) to help the oil penetrate the leather.

Clean leather is better to start with of course but even if you can't get them clean it can be applied to dirty leather with pretty good results.

I will never use anything else.

Fantastic product for keeping your leather well conditioned.

Summary

Fantastic product for keeping your leather well conditioned.

Pros

• It works.

Cons

• Not available everywhere.

LOL--"Smells like work." Always appreciate your reviews, Arson. I have bought several products (and avoided a few) based on your quality videos.

Simply the best to protect your leather boots from…

Source: bought at Russell Mocasin Co. Berlin WI

Summary

Simply the best to protect your leather boots from snow and wet weather!

Pros

• Protects
  • Softens
  • Easy to apply
  • Stays on and lasts

Cons

• Darkens leather ( I do not mind)

Simply the best to protect your leather boots from snow and wet weather! Does soften leather and darkens it. After 50 years of searching the only thing I now use.

Used for last 7 years. Use in several light coats initially and reapply when needed. Use hands to rub and work into leather. Even softens your dry cracked hands! Heat with hairdryer(keep it moving to avoid burning) or but in black bag in sun to help soak in leather. Buff when soaked in an had chance to dry overnight then buff.

The best. If we were in Hawaii this would be "da kine".

Price Paid: 8 or 9 bucks for a big jar. it's now about 12.

Summary

The best. If we were in Hawaii this would be "da kine".

Pros

• Best leather treatment available

Cons

• Not sold at every retailer in the world

I've been dealing with the same shoe repair shop for over 30 years. He sold me a jar of this stuff way back.

Never looked back.

Simply put: Obenauf's LP is the BEST treatment for leather. Boots, belts, wallets, whatever.

My climbing boots are 37 years old, and it seems I'll be able to get another season or two out of them.

My Wesco Jobmasters are 10 or 12 years old, and still in excellent condition.

I come home with dry feet, even after cutting wood in the rain up near Mt. Rainier for two months.

I would never even consider using anything else on leather.

rob5073

It works great on leather work gloves as well.

1 year ago

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

The Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new footwear cleaner/treatment, check out the best reviewed current models.