Ocean Kayak Yak Board

A short, wide sit-on-top kayak that is very stable,…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: about $300

Summary

A short, wide sit-on-top kayak that is very stable, turns on a dime, and is easy to transport and carry. Designed for surf, it is a fine fishing platform.

Pros

• Only eight feet long
  • Wide and stable
  • Rugged

Cons

• Slow
  • Limited space for gear

The rugged build of this short and wide surfing kayak provides a go-anywhere platform for out of the way fishing spots. I have bashed rocks, floated through flooded timber, and explored small streams in the search for seldom fished waters around the Chicago area.

Over time I have added anchor trolleys on each side allowing two anchors to hold me on the spot I want to fish. With three bolted on rod holders, a depth finder/fish finder and an insulated catch holding bag I can practice my catch-and-eat style of fishing (I don't do catch-and-release to the birds in my yard, why would I do that to fish?).

As a side benefit I was pleased to find wildlife allowed me to approach much closer on a kayak compared to on foot. Sandhill cranes are huge up close.

This is a piece of gear being used for something it was not made for, but it works well.

Thanks for the review, Curtis. Got any pictures of your boat you could share in your review?

Ocean Kayak Yak Board

The Ocean Kayak Yak Board is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 31, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new sit-on-top kayak, check out the best reviewed current models.