Old Town Dirigo 120

I have been an active paddler most of my life. I love…

Summary

I have been an active paddler most of my life. I love kayaking lakes, rivers, and salt water. I have done everything from tidal surfing to white water (class IV rapids) to calm lakes.

This is by far the most versatile boat. While it may not be the best at any one thing, it is good at everything. Perfect for someone like me, who wants to do it all, but can't afford three different boats.

Pros

• Versatile
  • Economical
  • Stable
  • Tracks well
  • Lots of room

Cons

• Heavy (55lbs)

Nice boat for the price. I have had this boat for…

Price Paid: around $700

Summary

Nice boat for the price.

Pros

• Versatile
  • Fast
  • Well made

Cons

• A little heavy

I have had this boat for five years and really enjoy it for both river trips and for just bummin around on a lake. Great boat to fish from as it is very stable when casting. Tracks nicely but is also easy to maneuver. Comfortable to be in for several hours at a time.

The only downside is because of its length it is a little heavy to put on top of an SUV by oneself.

Hull is uneven, rest of the features are great. I…

Summary

Hull is uneven, rest of the features are great.

Pros

• Great design (in theory) and features
  • Comfortable seat and stable
  • Love the dry compartment on front deck.

Cons

• The hull is uneven

I picked this kayak out for myself for my 54th birthday two weeks ago. I was so excited. I live on a lake and put it in first thing the day after my birthday. I felt like my left arm was having to work extra hard. Maybe I'm weaker on that side. . . Well after a couple of days, different wind and current conditions; I decided that it couldn't be just me.

When I examined the bottom, I found that there was a flat spot on the left side and on floating the kayak by itself, it doesn't sit flat in the water. When I returned it to the dealer, he went off to make some calls and I examined the 10'6" one on the floor and it has the same flaw. I took the manager out to look at the kayak and he said that it looked to him like the keel was not centered either.

They were going to let me exchange it when the new ones arrived in 2 weeks. But they called yesterday and said that the Dirigo has been discontinues and they would give me $50 off anther kayak. This is a great kayak (in theory). I love the size, features, comfort, weight. . . I haven't been able to find anything else comparable at the same price point. Frustrated with my gift and still searching.

If you've owned or used an Old Town Dirigo 120, please share your experience.