Old Town Penebscot 17 RX

A reliable, durable, and stable all-around canoe that…

Summary

A reliable, durable, and stable all-around canoe that will last several lifetimes.

Pros

• Durability and reliability that comes from Royalex done well
  • All-around contender...does all things well.

Cons

• A tad heavy for long, undulating portages
  • Not as streamlined and fast as Kevlar canoes

The Old Town Penebscot 17 is a reliable and functional tripper and everyday paddler. Extremely stable in all water conditions, from flat lakes to Class III. Initial and final stability are predictable and inspire confidence. I've tripped with mine for over a decade, from the lakes and rivers of Canada, Ohio, and Michigan to the Gulf, rivers and back waters of SW Florida.

For portaging it is a bit overweight, but has been doable. Durability is without question as is its reliability. It does sit high and has the propensity to weathervane in high winds, but slices through the waves without letting the water in. Not as quick as many high end kevlar canoes, but its length allows for adequate speed, even when laden with a week's worth of gear and food.

Royalex done well is hard to beat. Families in particular will enjoy the Old Town Penebscot 17 with a ton of usable space. Several companies make additional "drop-in" seats that are easy to attach/detach, allowing small children to enjoy the ride with Mom and Dad. We have paddled with three of our kids and our Lab without any difficulty or stability issues.

I must add, even after a decade of use our Penebscot still looks excellent, although washing it down and storing it properly in the garage after each use has prolonged its good looks.

I use it mainly for fishing with my kids and we have…

Source: bought it used

Summary

I use it mainly for fishing with my kids and we have a blast. I love being on the water with this canoe.

Pros

• Durability
  • Speed
  • Attractiveness

One of my favorite possessions of all time. This is a great family canoe and also expedition canoe. My kids love it. It is very durable, attractive and also light enough to carry and load solo. With two paddlers it is a rocket. It will fit a lot of gear as well. I get lots of positive comments at the local reservoir.

Visit Old Town's Penebscot 17 RX page.

Sleek, narrow design makes this canoe the fastest in its class. Straight keel line, sharp V-entry bow and shallow-arch bottom for efficient tracking across windy lakes and slicing through moderate whitewater. Top speed and cargo capacity for lake cruising and backcountry expeditions. Nylon web seats. Rugged, lightweight Royalex. USA. Dimensions 17'1"L x 141/2"D x 35"W. Capacity 1,150 lb. Weight 65 lb.

- L.L.Bean

2NDS . Crafted with extremely durable Royalex(R) and designed for smooth, stable performance, the Old Town Penebscot canoe is perfect for family fun on the water. Extremely durable Royalex(R) hull Black anodized aluminum gunwales Polyethylene decks with grab handles Nylon web seats Ash thwart and yoke Weight capacity: 1200 lb. Length: 17’1” Width: 34” Depth: 14-1_2” Weight: 65 lb. Material: Royalex(R) 2NDS . USA. Boats are cosmetic 2NDS and may come with minor blemishes, not unlike those that will be incurred on the first outing. To ensure your satisfaction, please remove all packaging material immediately upon arrival, and inspect for damage prior to signing acceptance form from carrier. Note any damage on carrier’s document, and contact Sierra Trading Post with any problems. Delivery Charge: $125. Must ship via truck within the continental U.S. only. Cannot be applied to special shipping offers. Visit our Kayaking Gear Guide

- Sierra Trading Post