Omega Pacific Jake 3-Stage Quik-Lok

The Omega Pacific Jake is a big, throaty 'biner. The…

Summary

The Omega Pacific Jake is a big, throaty 'biner. The offset gate is a great innovation that makes clipping in much easier than a standard "D" or "Pear-shaped" carabiner.

Pros

• Big gate
  • Offset gate allows easier clip in
  • Auto locking

Cons

• Hard to work with gloves on
  • The offset gate takes some getting use to
  • Auto locks are not always dependable with grit and grime

My feelings about this 'biner have evolved since I originally posted a review on it. My original, 3-star review focused on the "backwards" feel of the offset gate. However, over time I have come to realize that, like all gear, experience is key. Today, I feel the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

The Jake is a "throat-y," 3-stage auto locking aluminum 'biner. Even for a standard pear-shaped 'biner, the Jake is big. The large throat makes this an ideal carabiner for Munter hitch belays.

Omega-Big-Jake-3-.jpg

The offset gate gives a lot of clearance to get the 'biner clipped in. I have personally found this 'biner to be what I need when trying to get past other equipment on my harness (caving harnesses have more equipment attached to them than a standard seat harness).

Omega-Big-Jake-1-.jpg

Cons:

My primary rope work is in caves, where grit and grime can often prevent an auto lock 'biner from completely closing. Also, I find the Jake to be difficult to operate while wearing gloves. This is a huge factor when you're 100' off the ground and trying to change over from ascent to rappel or when transferring to another rope.

100_3265_0001.jpg
Above: Me climbing out of Rumbling Falls Cave (200').
Below: Same picture zoomed in on Omega Jake 'biner.
Omega-Jake.jpg

Over all, it's a decent 'biner, but not my favorite. The auto locking feature is probably best in less gritty environments. I still use the Jake in above ground practice, but depend on screw gate 'biners when caving.