Omega Pacific Mountain Axe

I like this axe. I have used it on self-arrest practice…

I like this axe. I have used it on self-arrest practice and to climb steep, hard spring snowfields, no serious mountaineering though.

It bites into the ice when I slip and cuts nice foot holds for the kids when I want it to. The point, I noticed, has a positive angle. The books say this isn't ideal and I may adjust it some with a grinder but the issue hasn't come up for me. As far as an axe is concerned, it does the job.

I wrapped the head with athletic tape near the handle to save on my gloves after I saw an old mountaineer do the same to his. I know that this axe is considered inferior to more expensive ones but I can't see why. For a beginning mountaineer like me it does just fine.

Very sturdy ice axe. I bought the 80CM one to use…

Very sturdy ice axe. I bought the 80CM one to use as a cane in moderate to steep climbing. I sharpened the spike and pick with a file, that's the only modification I made. I may put some friction tape on the handle, I have done that on my other axes, and it helps.

I have a Black Diamond ice axe and this one compares favorably. I am very happy with my purchase.

Visit Omega Pacific's Mountain Axe page.

Free Shipping. Omega Pacific Mountain Axe SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountain Axe by Omega Pacific SPECIFICATIONS for 60 cm: Handle Material: Aluminum Head Material: 4130 CrMo Weight: 622 grams / 22 ounces Length: 60 cm SPECIFICATIONS for 65 cm: Handle Material: Aluminum Head Material: 4130 CrMo Weight: 643 grams / 23 ounces Length: 65 cm SPECIFICATIONS for 70 cm: Handle Material: Aluminum Head Material: 4130 CrMo Weight: 665 grams / 23.4 ounces Length: 70 cm SPECIFICATIONS for 75 cm: Handle Material: Aluminum Head Material: 4130 CrMo Weight: 686 grams / 24.2 ounces Length: 75 cm SPECIFICATIONS for 80 cm: Handle Material: Aluminum Head Material: 4130 CrMo Weight: 707 grams / 25 ounces Length: 80 cm ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL.

The Mountain Axe from Omega Pacific is the most important and essential tool when you're out in the ice or snow. Used for chopping steps, building snow anchors or bollards, performing boot/ax belays, or self-arresting when you start to slide, this ax is built to last without weighing down your pack.

- Mountain Gear

Head is constructed from laser-cut 4130 CrMo for exceptional durability. Shaft is made of 6061 T6 aluminum for weight savings without loss of strength. Special buy. Spike end plunges easily into hard-packed ice and snow. This ice axe has a solid design that's ideal for chopping steps, building snow anchors and self-arresting.