Ontario Knife Company ASEK Survival Knife System
The ASEK knife is the official issue US Air Force…
Price Paid: $89
The ASEK knife is the official issue US Air Force Aircrew Survival & Egress knife. It's well suited to the job and well designed for the task at hand.
It comes with a 5" blade, a rubber handle, and is 10.25" of overall length. I've owned the knife for about 4 years and have used it for cleaning game, building snare/traps, and general camp use. I gutted and skinned a moose with only light touch ups on the blade, the knife did it well.
It comes with a saw back (for cutting out of a canopy), seat belt cutter, and a glass break pummel. I used to do remote first aiding and it was all in helicopters, so those escape features were desirable. They may not be necessary features for you but if you heliski, for instance, it might be. It is a good knife and will be a useful tool for the woods.
The only drawback is the partially serrated edge on the blade. This is not a feature I am in love with. I know some of my friends do like this on general purpose blades, I don't. This and the specially purpose design is why I gave this knife only 4 stars.
It is great knife, give it a try.
ASEK Aircrew Survival Egress Knife. This knife is used by the Air Warrior Program and other branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
* Serrated edge and sawteeth on spine
* One piece molded handle with spear holes
* Insulated handle molded over guard
* Butt cap can be used as a hammer
* Lanyard hole and glass breaker on butt cap
* Flame retardant nylon sheath w/Kydex insert, two leg protectors and straps
* Anodized aluminum strap cutter w/screwdriver, honing rod, lanyard and replaceable blade.
Blade Steel: 1095 carbon
Country of Origin: USA