Optimus Titanium Folding Spork

EUR 14,95

Light multipurpose eating utensil, but watch the lock.

Summary

Light multipurpose eating utensil, but watch the lock.

Pros

• Light, good for backpacking
  • Big bowl
  • Unbreakable

Cons

• Unreliable lock on handle
  • Tines are pretty much worthless

Spork.jpg
60113.jpg

I've had one of these for a couple of years. Take a stove, the Optimus Spork and a dehydrated meal, and you're pretty much set for dinner. The handle folds into the spoon bowl, and it fits nicely into a pocket. I usually put it in between the pots in my Trangias, or just tuck it inside my cup.

To lock the handle, a small metal clip slides into place pushing the handle out. While it holds fairly well, the lock can occasionally slip back. If it does, the bowl can flip up, so keep an eye on it.

Good things:

• The bowl is fairly large, so you can actually eat soup or stew with it without feeling frustrated.
  • Only 18 gms, and very compact when folded.
  • Because it's metal, you can use the edge to cut some softer foods.

Bad things:

• Unreliable lock.
  • Fork tines aren't very pointy. Don't count on being able to stab anything with them.

PS: Is there really a difference between a Spork and a Foon?

Rick-Pittsburgh

Peter, I have a Sea to Summit Ti spork. I think there is one manufacturer that makes these for the different companies. Mine is identical to this one all the way down to the "titanium" on the slider lock. Only difference is where yours says Optimus mine says Sea to Summit. I did get a small biner with mine as well. I agree with you in regards to the lock not staying in the locked position. I have had it fold on me while feeding my face in the bc. I simply adjusted my grip on this utensil so that my thumb holds it in place while eating.

1 year ago
Peter1955

I do that, too, Rick. It holds pretty well, but 'once bit...'. Unlike plastic, HRF, it doesn't break, it holds its edge, and as mentioned in the review, it fits inside a coffee mug. The only gadget more flexible is a pair of chopsticks. 'Course you don't have to carry those at all.

1 year ago

This folding titanium spork is my go to utensil in…

This folding titanium spork is my go to utensil in the backcountry. I thought it was flimsy at first, until I realized it locks into place with the sliding toggle (open and closed).

Weighs nothing, strong, and it folds up so it will fit in any solo cookware set. I use it to cook as well as to eat.

I originally bought the Optimus Spork because it could…

I originally bought the Optimus Spork because it could fold and would fit inside my Snow Peak cook set. At the store the design seemed really sturdy and I was sure that it would be an awesome addition to my gear collection.

Pros:
Small size
Lightweight
Folding capability

Cons:
Folding capability

The only real con with this spork is that it can and sometimes does fold in half while you are cooking. It becomes a pain in the a** anytime you try to stir anything thick. It folds in half, you get food all over your fingers, you almost knock the stove over. It's just a bad deal all together.

This utensil is great for eating, and only that. I would probably buy this again, just not as a cooking utensil.