Ortovox Thunder 35

Weight 1350 g / 1020 g (without hip belt)
Volume 35 L

Low profile, alpine climbing pack. I bought this pack…

Summary

Low profile, alpine climbing pack.

Pros

• Highly versatile
  • Easy access
  • Very water resistant

I bought this pack on closeout at Sierra Trading Post and after using it for a month, I was sad I hadn't picked up a second. I was motivated to buy this pack after doing some multi-pitch climbing at Devils Tower and having trouble looking up because I kept hitting my head on my old REI pack.

I have used this Ortovox as my go-to everyday pack as a way to try it out and really get to know it, and so far I have been immensely impressed. It has a full side zip that rounds across to the opposite side of the pack allowing for full access to the entire pack. It has an internal water resistant zippered pocket that will protect your gear from moisture or, if you have a wet swim suit it will keep it from getting the other gear in your pack wet. It has a detachable top that also has a clear map compartment if you want to use it as a hip pack.

I used this pack on a 5-day trip to Maui and it held plenty of gear. I was even able to bring back a pair of fins that I purchased at a dive shop while there. My travel mates were simply shocked at how I had gotten so much stuff into a pack that has such a low profile and doesn't appear to be all that big.

That being said, it still rides well on the hips and shoulders and I never felt restricted like you sometimes might in a pack. The way it fits, I am planning to use it as an ultralight pack for fastpacking this summer.

Ortovox Thunder 35

The Ortovox Thunder 35 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 3, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.