Ortovox Thunder 35

Weight 1350 g / 1020 g (without hip belt)
Volume 35 L

Low profile, alpine climbing pack. I bought this pack…

Summary

Low profile, alpine climbing pack.

Pros

• Highly versatile
  • Easy access
  • Very water resistant

I bought this pack on closeout at Sierra Trading Post and after using it for a month, I was sad I hadn't picked up a second. I was motivated to buy this pack after doing some multi-pitch climbing at Devils Tower and having trouble looking up because I kept hitting my head on my old REI pack.

I have used this Ortovox as my go-to everyday pack as a way to try it out and really get to know it, and so far I have been immensely impressed. It has a full side zip that rounds across to the opposite side of the pack allowing for full access to the entire pack. It has an internal water resistant zippered pocket that will protect your gear from moisture or, if you have a wet swim suit it will keep it from getting the other gear in your pack wet. It has a detachable top that also has a clear map compartment if you want to use it as a hip pack.

I used this pack on a 5-day trip to Maui and it held plenty of gear. I was even able to bring back a pair of fins that I purchased at a dive shop while there. My travel mates were simply shocked at how I had gotten so much stuff into a pack that has such a low profile and doesn't appear to be all that big.

That being said, it still rides well on the hips and shoulders and I never felt restricted like you sometimes might in a pack. The way it fits, I am planning to use it as an ultralight pack for fastpacking this summer.

The Thunder 35 provides outstanding flexibility! You can vastly minimize it when alpine climbing, benefit from the many useful features when sports climbing and come to appreciate its capacity and many detailed solutions when bouldering!

When designing the Thunder, great emphasis was placed on ensuring its low weight - many features can be vastly minimized. For example, the lid compartment and hip belt are detachable. To reduce the weight even further, we only use lightweight yet robust yarns and do without heavy, rigid back systems, without compromising on wear comfort.

The main compartment can be accessed via the detachable lid pocket or the all-round zip, which provides an instant view into the backpack. There you'll find the waterproof pocket for your valuables and a mesh compartment.

The removable hip belt is a 3D active hip belt. The main advantages are its low weight and its ability to be individually adjusted using four straps. Gear loops provide sufficient space for express sets and carabiners.

To improve communication when alpine climbing, we have integrated an alarm whistle into the chest strap. Numerous functional pockets for your camera, cellular phone, candy bars etc., accommodation for a drinking system and the fold-away pick loops leave nothing to be desired.

Visit Ortovox's Thunder 35 page.

CLOSEOUTS . Ortovox's Thunder 35+ climbing backpack combines an intelligent design and outstanding versatility for the crag and the high alpine. The detachable lid can be worn as a waist pack, the padded waistbelt is removable and interior compartments hold climbing shoes, maps and your hydration bladder. Available Colors: RED SKY, BLACK PHANTOM, RED LAVA.

- Sierra Trading Post