Osprey Ariel 60

First of all, I am 5'1" tall and weigh 110 pounds,…

Size: 57 L
Max. Load Carried: 30 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'1"

First of all, I am 5'1" tall and weigh 110 pounds, so I needed a small, lightweight pack. This fit the bill perfectly. I took it on a hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail for four nights, and it performed well.

Of course, I couldn't have taken it if I wanted to do extended camping. I could not fit one more thing into it. I hiked with a friend, who packed the stove and water purifier. I had all of my gear and the tent. My pack weighed 30 pounds with water, so it was a little too heavy for me.

This pack didn't have an integrated bladder, which I would have preferred. I could fit my sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack (barely), and had to take everything out each night since there isn't a separate opening/compartments. This didn't bother me, though. I loved the specifically designed hip belt and ErgoPull strap design.

I am going again this coming week, and have reduced the weight to 25 pounds. Only because it is warmer weather and so I don't need some of the warmer clothes. I recommend it highly for the type of short hikes I like.

If you've owned or used an Osprey Ariel 60, please share your experience.

Osprey Ariel 60

The Ariel 60 has been discontinued.

The Osprey Ariel 60 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 24, 2008 at GearTrade.