Osprey Farpoint 40

Capacious enough for the essentials and even a few…

Price Paid: About $120 on sale

Summary

Capacious enough for the essentials and even a few luxuries for extended travel, so long as one is willing to wash clothes every few days, and bring along only what is necessary. It is sturdily constructed, opens all the way for easy packing and finding things, and with Osprey's famous warranty, I have no worries about it lasting into the future.

Only complaint...the outside water bottle pockets are under the lower compression strap, making it difficult to use them for their intended purpose. On the whole, I recommend it to other travelers.

Pros

• Sturdy construction
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Adequate space for short- or long-term travel
  • Comfortable internal frame, excellent waist belt for a travel pack
  • Good color choices
  • Lockable zippers
  • Side and top padded handles, and stowaway shoulder straps and waist belt
  • Great for travelers who may also want/need to do some walking

Cons

• Placement of water bottle pockets vis a vis compression straps
  • No integral rain cover (but Sea to Summit rain cover fits perfectly)

The Farpoint comes in two sizes, and can thus fit a variety of body types reasonably well. I am fairly average in size, and the M/L fits me quite well and is very comfortable.

The construction appears to me to be sturdy and durable. The waistbelt approaches the quality and utility of a true backpacking waistbelt, unlike the flimsier belts found on most travel-oriented packs. At 40 liters (38 for the S/M) it has plenty of space for up to a week of travel, but it is still carry-on sized. And, quite honestly, if one is willing to wash clothes every few days, a pack that works for a week will also work for a year.

The shoulder straps are well-padded, as is the waistbelt, and the internal frame makes the pack sit easily on ones back. Though I haven't done so, I would not be reluctant to use this pack for longer hikes. It would be difficult to strap sleeping bags, tents, and so forth on the outside, so it would not be the best choice for overnight hikes into the wilderness. If more civilized places to sleep are available, then it would work just fine. It is really meant for travelers rather than backpackers.

There are no dividers inside the main pack, just a couple of internal compression straps. However, that is what I prefer, so that I can see what I want to remove. And with the clamshell opening, that is easy to do. There is also a secondary pocket that would be useful for papers, a laptop or tablet, and other such things, but I tend to put those in a smaller daypack when I am traveling. I use that secondary pocket for papers I may not need while on a plane or in a car. There is not an easy way to attach a daypack to the exterior of the Farpoint 40 (the Farpoint 55 and 70 come with detachable daypacks, but are not carry-on sized).

I have only had this pack for a few months, but I have used it for several long car trips that also involved some walking, as well as for two international trips (by plane) where I used it for "one bag travel." Carry on was no problem, and it fits even with some airlines' recent crackdowns on carry-on dimensions.

I have been very satisfied with the Osprey Farpoint 40. I recommend it.