Osprey Poco

This product is well made with great supporting accessories.

This product is well made with great supporting accessories. There are too many child carriers that are made for a stroll in the parking lot to the trailhead and back to the vehicle. Once parents or grandparents leave that parking lot it is critical that the equipment used provide the additional safety and protection needed in the outdoors. Of course it is also critical that the unit be comfortable for both the youngster being carried and the adult doing the carrying.

• Design, design, design
  • Solid padding and sewing
  • Good materials
  • Cost of base model

• Cost of model with all of the accessories
  • Tends to fit larger people
  • Not suitable for big wall climbs

Previous to having children I hiked the Appalachian Trail end to end and and have had a passion for the outdoors. I dragged my children into the outdoors from early on. While both my boys grew up to be stoic young men, they endured many a soggy or sun baked dehydrating trip in a variety of the BEST made devices including sleds, chariots, snugglies, backpack carriers, and floaty things.

As a grandparent, I purchased the Osprey Poco child carrier as the first carrier for our son and daughter-in-law to carry our grandson in for his first outdoor trips. The pack is comfortable to carry with good lumbar adjustments and padding in all of the right places. It seems to be comfortable to ride in (according to the lack of complaints) and once again the padding seems to be in all of the right places.

The pack has a stand for loading a child into it (not for a child to be left in) and shoulder straps to keep them in. We purchased the base model for $200, the sun shield for $40 and raincover separately for $35. The $275 cost was better than buying the premium model or any of the other brands we looked at.

Our grandson will have good sun and rain protection while viewing nature from his perch above his Dad's head.

Welcome to Trailspace, Kirk. Thanks for sharing your review of the Poco with other outdoorsy parents and grandparents.