Osprey Stratos 18

This pack meets my needs perfectly. I bought it because…

This pack meets my needs perfectly. I bought it because of the mesh back panel. With previous bags my back would always get sweaty making for an uncomfortable hike. With this pack, however, I'm able to hike all day through humid summer Virginia air without any discomfort.

Initially I was concerned about the backs size but it holds much more than you would expect. I'm able to fit a 1.5L bladder, ten essentials, camera and an extra layer (ranging from rain shell in the summer to fleece in the winter) with some room to spare. The smaller compartment is perfect for a headlamp or other small gadget. The large external packet holds everything from maps to gloves and hats. The side packets can carry water bottles pretty well but can be a tight fit if the inside of the back is full. The hip pockets work well for keys, phones, or pocket knives. Extra space can be found by filling the space between the mesh and the frame in the back. It takes away the circulation benefit but you can easily fit enough for a light weekend trip.

As an added bonus the bag is very light and well balanced. Once you put it on you forget that it is there.

The perfect day pack!!! I love the open back which…

Size: 1000 ci
Height of Owner: 6'

The perfect day pack!!! I love the open back which allows me to put some gear and a 3 liter bladder in the back plus another 2 liter bladder in the inside of the pack, and with the 2 side pockets that are very durable and stretchy i can fit a liter of poweraid in each side.. Giving me 7 liters of fluids plus room for a fleece, lunch and other essential items.

I can't stop raving about this pack, and the fact that Osprey stands behind its product regardless of the reason it broke makes me feel secure in my purchase, and confident that i will have a durable long lasting pack for only 100$.

The pack is also very comfortable and fits perfectly on my back.. big enough to get sufficient gear for an overnighter, yet snug enough to run with, and compact enough to boulder and scramble with it on.. Love love love it!!!

I bought this pack for day hiking. It has just enough…

Design: panel loading
Size: 18L
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 20lbs
Height of Owner: 6'3"

I bought this pack for day hiking. It has just enough room for the 10 essentials, lunch, and an extra layer. The suspension and mesh backpanel used (similar the Atmos series) keeps my back cool, but at the cost of space inside the pack. To keep room for the gear I have to place my 2L bladder in the cavity which makes for less breathability. My only other complaint is that I'm tall (6'3") with a long torso and the large size is maybe a bit small. Go with the Stratos 24 if you're long and lean like me.

Good construction and circulation at the expense of…

Good construction and circulation at the expense of lesser space inside the bag.

I'd appreciate if there were one or two more smaller compartments inside the bag. Bought it on a very good bargain.

Overall, it's a fine one.

If you've owned or used an Osprey Stratos 18, please share your experience.

Osprey Stratos 18

The Stratos 18 has been discontinued.

The Osprey Stratos 18 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 17, 2010 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.