Osprey Stratos 36

I had purchased this pack to serve as a combination…

Summary

I had purchased this pack to serve as a combination daypack/overnight bag. Overall it is extremely comfortable, durable and well designed. Front access to the interior of the pack is very useful, as is the built-in rain cover, separate sleeping bag compartment and internal hydration pocket. Would definitely recommend to friends and family.

Pros

• High quality
  • Well designed

Cons

• Slightly too small for overnight trips

While I found the inclusion of a separate zippered compartment for a sleeping bag to be a nice touch, my 20 degree down bag wouldn't fit snugly. I spoke with customer service, and they suggested a smaller spring/summer bag stuffed directly into the compartment (no stuff/compression sack) but unfortunately they're not allowed to call it a waterproof compartment due to the zippers, and this hurts my rating slightly.

It could use an external zippered pocket or two but the two top zippered compartments serve nicely. Plenty of room inside for the essentials. Stretch side pockets with tightening strap also a nice touch for Nalgene/mugs.

Recommended max. weight is 25-30lbs. and I've tried it out a few times at the higher end with no issues.

Fits very comfortably. I am 5'7" and 145lbs.  I ordered the "S/M" but I think the "L" would have been a better choice as you can't adjust the torso length. Also, the "L" version was a true 36L pack as opposed to the "S/M" only having 34L.

Compresses well and vents above average.

Sean Harrison

I'm pretty sure this bag is doable for summer overnights. I put my hammock, under quilt and top quilt and had about one half to one third of the bag left. I wish the belt padding was longer. Very nice bag.

I bought this bag after having the 24 and thinking…

I bought this bag after having the 24 and thinking it might have been better since it was a top loader.  It is a lot bigger than the 24 and overall I liked it!

But it was too big for a day hike and too little to hold all my climbing gear.  Would be ideal for a overnighter, the big comfy straps feel great! and the cross breeze you get is phenomenal!

A lot of pockets for good orgo. and again it comes in that wonderful green color!

The only complaint I had really was the arch again being really big, it gives you great cross venting, but squeezes a bladder and cuts on volume.

If you've owned or used an Osprey Stratos 36, please share your experience.

Osprey Stratos 36