Osprey Talon 33

For those moving fast and packing smaller loads, lightweight packs in the Talon series adjust for a wide range of comfort and suit any style with the option of several sharp colors and graphics. Designed for mountain biking, trail running, fastpacking, peak bagging, and adventure racing. Features the AirScape back panel with ridge-molded foam that creates air channels, and adjustable harness, and mesh hip belt pockets.

s/m m/l
Weight 1 lb 15 oz / .87 kg 2 lb 0 oz / .92 kg
Capacity 1900 cu in / 31 L 2000 cu in / 33 L

I'm sorry, but I am not happy with this pack. It is…

I'm sorry, but I am not happy with this pack. It is frameless so if that is your style great! This could be the pack for you!

It does have a lot of storage and can compress and expand rather well, but I have yet to figure out the harness setting to make it comfortable for me. Since it is frameless also, when stuffed full the back can get lumpy and cause some pressure points.

Lots of cargo space, super light, but not my style.

This pack is a perfect size for most day to 2 day…

Price Paid: $120 Canadian

This pack is a perfect size for most day to 2 day activities. Though it took me around India for 3 weeks so it can stretch quite far...

I am an amateur adventurer in lots of different things so like gear that covers lots of bases,  i have taken it hiking, travelling, canyoning, climbing, back country and resort skiing, adventure racing, kayaking and it suits everything. have owned it for 2 years +

*I find it useful for all top entry packs to separate my gear into dry bags to minimise time wasted on finding items. this bag fits two medium dry bags comfortably.

Pros:

1.  It is light weight, the suspended harness system is fantastic. In terms of air flow it is good, but i think unless you wear no shirt you'll never eliminate sweat on shoulders and back. It does feel cool in the Aussie summer though. The soft harness allows you to pack this away into other bags etc unlike a rigid harness.
  2. It is so adjustable too, i am 5'7" and my partner is 6'5" and with the large harness we can both adjust it for comfortable use.
  3. it has some good little key and money stash pockets, one hidden in the hydration sleeve which was great when travelling in India! and for keeping things safe on the trails
  4. hip belt and shoulder stash pockets perfect for snacks, phones and maps.
  5. the front and side stretch panels fit an amazing amount in them and with folded in lip to help hold onto things. bottles, helmets, jackets great for quick grab items.
  6. it drains out water well when canyoning, it fits a dry bag perfectly in the main compartment
  7. surprisingly tough straps, buckles and loops for holding things on and in bag including skis for short back-country hiking. I haven't broken any and i expected to break the buckles, as I have on various other packs.

Cons:

1. It is designed to be light weight so obviously not as hard wearing as a heavier fabric bag like my old Macpac, canyoning has taken its toll!
  2. If you overload the pack you notice the lack of rigid frame, but you really have to pack it with heavy items to notice this.
  3. I have found some stretched stitching where the compression strap joins the main compartment, probably due to over loading while traveling though.
  4. after 2 years of use the hydrophbic layer on the fabric is starting to peel away around the top entry, but this is a high wear area and it doesn't affect use at all.
  5. I have a tiny hole (2-3mm diameter) on the base of the bag where the base joins the frame/back. this is probably due to use in canyons though (not a light activity on gear!)

overall: a comfortable and versatile pack for day and even multi day trips for a variety of activities. I would recommend this as your go-to pack for almost anything.

This is my favorite bag and will never buy any other…

Design: Top-loading
Size: M/L 2,000 cubic inches 33 L
Number of Pockets: 4 + main compartment
Max. Load Carried: ~40lbs
Height of Owner: 6'0

This is my favorite bag and will never buy any other pack. It is a little small for a long multi-day hike, but great for 1-3 days. I just did a 4 day hike and it was loaded to the max. The padding around the hips is not very padded and I ended up with cuts on both sides from the bag.

I love this bag for a hiking a few nights, but would recommend a larger more comfortable bag for long multi-day hikes. The bag is super light weight and is constructed very well. Some of the hardware looks to be very small and fragile, however, I have had no trouble what so ever and I have put this bag through hell.

I purchased the Osprey Talon 33 based on Osprey's…

Design: Top Loader
Size: M/L
Number of Pockets: Many
Max. Load Carried: 15-20 Lbs
Height of Owner: 5'11"

I purchased the Osprey Talon 33 based on Osprey's overall reputation and the fact that a fellow hiker told me on the way up to Mt. LeConte in GSMNP that he would never place another brand of pack on his back again after using Osprey products. I also found a review of this pack in the Backpacker 2007 Gear Guide and they rated it best overall daypack. Looking in the spec pages of the Backpacker gear guide it indicates that the Talon 33 has an internal frame which is not the case-it uses a foam non framed suspension.

I went ahead and kept the pack though and trail tested it this weekend on a short day hike at Bad Branch Falls in Kentucky which is unpredictably a perfect place to try out this pack. There was a section of climbing over large boulders which truly allows you to appreciate the integration of the suspension, shoulder straps and hip belt. This pack was designed to move with you, whichever angle your back is in. Many packs out there (especially day packs) need you to remain perfectly vertical for them to stay in one place on your back, but the system included on the Talon keeps everything in place nicely and comfortably.

The Airscape backpanel was comfortable, but I still ended up with a lot of sweat. I had been expecting more airflow such as in the case of the Stratos packs, but overall I was satisfied. I would say the best feature of this pack is how close the hydration pack area is to the backpanel. Placing your CamelBak or Platypus in the fridge prior to your hike and placing it in the hydration sleeve acts as an air conditioner for your back!

Prior to my test hike I loaded the pack up with my Marmot sleeping bag, Therm-a-rest Trail Lite pad and there was still plenty of room for a small backpacker's tent, so realistically you could stuff some Cliff bars in the pack, fill up on water and place some extra clothes in the pack and do a two night trip. I can't wait for my next hike with this pack or trying it out on my next mtn. bike ride.