Osprey Variant 28

small medium large
Weight 1 lb 15 oz / .88 kg 2 lb 2 oz / 1.96 kg 2 lb 5 oz / 1.05 kg
Capacity 1560 cu in / 26 L 1680 cu in / 28 L 1800 cu in / 30 L

I bought this backpack special order from R.E.I. I…

Size: 28
Max. Load Carried: 20lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2''

I bought this backpack special order from R.E.I. I don't know how but I got away with only paying 89.99 dollars.

This backpack does everything I need for my day hikes/ climbs. There is enough headroom to climb steep hill. I had a problem with my old pack and not being able to look up. Lots of room and very comfortable.

Pro: Lots of tool accessories. ski/snowshoe/rescue hooks/climb. Lots of good space.

Cons: Only comes in red and new item so my review is the only one. Check out R.E.I. or Mountain Gear.

Streamlined, impressively strong, and built specifically for your vertical endeavors, Osprey's Variant 28 backpack uses a strong-yet-flexible aluminum stay and a thermo-formed backpanel for comfortable support. Strip it down for your summit attempt, or wear it at full comfort for a day-long approach - however you use it, you'll appreciate the mountain-guide inspired design.

- Mountain Gear

The Osprey 28 Variant Backpack is ideal for climbing or scrambling with its light sleek exterior, removable framesheet and, durable nylon exterior. The thermo-formed, contoured backpanel gives the Variant extra comfort and snow shedding capabilities, and a water resist zippered front pocket gives you the ability to battle the conditions. This top loader also features a removable top pocket, and a variety of gear specific loops: from ski carry loops, ice too attachments, tool tie-offs and three haul loops for easy lugging. The Varient 28 also features a crampon pocket on the front panel of the pack, and a removable sit pad. Light and sleek, the Variant 28 weighs in at one pound, 12 ounces in size medium.

- RockCreek

Fast, elegant and light, the Osprey Variant 28 is the ultimate climbing and scrabling pack. Designed using feedback from mountain guides, professional alpinists and weekend craggers, these packs offer a streamlined feature set specific to the climbing pursui Removable framesheet/sit pad.

- CampSaver.com

Streamlined and elegant, the Osprey Variant 28 is the ultimate climbing and scrambling pack.

- EMS

Fast, elegant and light, the Variant 28 Pack by Osprey is the ultimate climbing and scrambling pack. Features: Removable HDPE framesheet with 6061 Aluminum Stay. Water restistant zippered front pocket. Crampon compression pocket. Dual ski loops. Removable hipbelt. 0.79kg or 1/12 lb. stripped weight in a medium.

- Appalachian Outdoors

Osprey Variant 28

The Variant 28 has been discontinued. It last appeared in Osprey's Fall 2010 product line.

The Osprey Variant 28 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.