Osprey Variant 52

small medium large
Weight 3 lb 9 oz / 1.62 kg 3 lb 12 oz / 1.70 kg 3 lb 15 oz / 1.79 kg
Stripped weight 2 lb 1 oz / .91 kg 2 lb 3 oz / .99 kg 2 lb 6 oz / 1.08 kg
Capacity 3000 cu in / 49 L 3200 cu in / 52 L 3400 cu in / 55 L

Straps fray after 6 months. Warranty?...still waiting…

Price Paid: >200

Straps fray after 6 months.

Warranty?...still waiting for repairs >4months and counting...after several complaints.

Bad material....bad construction, bad brand experience.

I bought this pack for winter mountaineering. At first…

Price Paid: $179 on sale

I bought this pack for winter mountaineering. At first I thought the size would be a little small but after 4 nights up at Mt Whitney I love it. I can fit all my gear inside the pack, down sleeping bag, women's Prolite Thermarest ( I am a 5'10" 180lb male but use the small pad for size), cookware, clothes, gloves, down coat, complete 2 man 3 season tent or a 4-man 4 season tent minus the fly, and 5-6 days of food.

The side pockets don't fit water bottles but fits MSR fuel bottles, tent poles, shovel. The back pocket fits fuel bottles, shovles, crampons. Just depends on how I decide to pack it.

The hip belt has a loop for climbing hardware and works great to hang a water bottle from. Padding is very thin on the hip belt but very comfortable. I loaded 52lbs on this pack and it felt comfortable.

I agree with other reviews, adding snowshoes is tuff because the back pocket staps are not long enough but every other strap was buit to long. After cinching the main compartment there is a long strap for cinching down a rope, sleeping pad or a tent depending how you want to pack your gear.  I love the ice axe straps.

The size is 3400 cubic inches but seems much larger. I love the color. Easy to see if rescue was needed and has a built in whistle on the chest strap.

Overall this pack is my go-to pack.

The Osprey Variant is one of the best mountaineering…

The Osprey Variant is one of the best mountaineering packs I've used so far. I tried other packs in the genre and this pack has a massive load capacity in comparison.

I tried the Mammut Trion Guide, and I loved all of the straps and lashing points on it. However, It did not have near the capacity that I needed. I exchanged it for the Variant and it fits all of my winter overnight gear with room to spare.

The thing I was most impressed about is this pack's ability to repel water. I was unloading my car and my pack fell out into a mud puddle that was about an inch deep. When I recovered my pack, I was amazed to see the water beaded off and the inside was still dry. I figure it can handle some light/moderate rain without having to use a pack cover. This is important living in the Pacific North West.

The only problems that I have with this pack are minor. Like I said, I loved the lashing points of the Mammut pack; the variant has some of the similar straps. The only thing is that I need to find a way to lash my snowshoes on the pack.

The Variant doesn’t really have an effective way to carry a sleeping pad on the outside of the pack. The straps are a little bit long and can get a little out of control, I am planning on sewing some small pieces of Velcro to the ends of the straps so I can roll them up and keep them out of the way when all the straps are cinched down.

The only other modification I am planning on making is adding a separate rope securing strap. All of these are personal preference, but I love using this pack its sturdy, comfortable, and has a massive capacity.

Visit Osprey's Variant 52 page.

The Osprey Variant 52 offers big volume, intelligent features, and clean styling.

- CampSaver.com

The Osprey Variant 52 Backpack offers big volume, intelligent features and clean styling. Water resistant zippered front pocket Removable HDPE framesheet with aluminum tubing Crampon compression pocket Dual ski loops Removable and stowable hipbelt Adjustable tool bungee Y-clip Glove friendly buckles Ice tool attachment Spindrift collar Three-point haul system Underlid pocket Wand pocket

- OMCgear

The three-point haul system of the Osprey Variant 52 Backcpack makes lugging your stuff up a wall, mountain, or glacier way easy. The big volume and convenient pocketry of this winter pack make your gear easy to access, and the removable hip-belt and frame sheet shed weight when you need to go light. Stash your crampons, ice tools, or probe in their own dedicated locales for quick gettin' and puttin' away. A water-resistant zippered front pocket keeps maps dry, and dual ski loops carry your sticks with ease.

The Osprey Variant 52 Pack was designed using feedback from mountain guides professional alpinists and weekend craggers these packs offer a streamlined feature set specific to the climbing pursuit Multiple torso sizes and innovative adjustment features provide the excellent fit youve come to expect from Osprey The Osprey Variant 52 offers big volume intelligent features and clean stylingFeatures Water restistant zippered front pocket Removable HDPE framesheet with alumninum tubing framesheet Crampon compression pocket Dual ski loops Removable hipbelt

- Bentgate.com