Good pack for 2-5 day trips, good storage, good construction.

Summary

Good pack for 2-5 day trips, good storage, good construction.

Pros

• Easy to adjust
  • Pockets on hip belt are great
  • Solid and easy to open zippers

Cons

• Poor internal organizational capabilities
  • No good way to store bladder hose on shoulder strap

Fit: Easy to adjust to my body type. I'm "that athletic guy", 5'10" 165 lbs.

Comfort: When the pack is fitted properly it helps me stand with pretty good posture (although leaning forward a little), and that helps out a lot for longer trips because my back feels fine. The hip belt is OK and does wrap around my hips, but after a while doesn't feel that great. Because I have a fairly trim figure I don't have a lot of cushion on my hips, so it's really just bone that the strap is resting on and isn't comfortable after a few days of hiking.

Capacity: Plenty of space

Compression: Pack adjusts easily, but I wish that the main compartment closed itself up more. There's a compression strap that runs inside the top of the bag, but then the top closure is still kind of loose. This is more of an aesthetic thing than functional. I try to live by "pack light, pack tight".

Features: The trekking pole storage system is overrated. Sure it's cool to have and doesn't really get in the way, but I wish that Osprey had tried to figure out a better way to strap the hose to my bladder better on the shoulder strap. There's an elastic loop on the shoulder to hold it in place, but it's placed too high and doesn't really function that well.

It's a well built backpack, but you could pay less money for a back with more features, like a waterproof cover that's stored in a pocket on the bottom of the pack. I had one of those on my first ever internal frame pack I got for $40 when I was a kid.

Welcome to Trailspace, Josh! Thanks for sharing your first review with us. Do you have any pictures of your Volt in use you could show in your review?

Great fit without a lot of weight. I would definitely…

Summary

Great fit without a lot of weight. I would definitely recommend this backpack for anyone doing a 3-4 night outing.

Pros

• Great fit
  • Good capacity for a 3-4 night trip
  • Like the pole carriers mounted to the strap and belt
  • On the fly adjustment capabilities
  • Easy fit up
  • Price: $200

Cons

• None come to mind

Just purchased this pack in July 2014. Have used it 4 times in the Adirondacks of NY and AT in NJ and Maine. I bought it for the lesser pack weight of 3lbs 12oz vs my other, older Osprey pack. This is a one-size-fits-all pack with an adjustable stay system that I really liked, especially if you're an in-between size like me.

It carries 4,700 cu, so I did have to choose my gear wisely after using a 5,600 cu pack for many years. It has exterior pole carriers for those times when you don't need your poles and would prefer not to carry them. The loops for the carriers are on the left strap and left side of the hip belt. You can adjust the fit while hiking on the trail and I liked the exterior pockets on the hip belt.

The description on the pack in an outdoor guide I had read mentioned that the pack lacked "bells and whistles," but I must say I didn't feel like I was missing anything. Load distribution, compression, and ride were great and nothing less than I would have expected from the Osprey brand.

Overall I think this is a solid pack that I expect to have for many years.

Thanks for sharing your review, NE Backpacker. I hope you'll keep us posted on how the pack fares over time.

New England Backpacker

This is a follow-up to my original post of Sept. '14. I have now used this pack 5 additional times, most recently a multi-day trip in Baxter St. Park, Maine, & this pack continues to perform as expected. The comfort & capacity of this pack convince me this was a good purchase.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it's still working out and hope you had a great time in Baxter.