Osprey Volt 75

Great fit without a lot of weight. I would definitely…

Summary

Great fit without a lot of weight. I would definitely recommend this backpack for anyone doing a 3-4 night outing.

Pros

• Great fit
  • Good capacity for a 3-4 night trip
  • Like the pole carriers mounted to the strap and belt
  • On the fly adjustment capabilities
  • Easy fit up
  • Price: $200

Cons

• None come to mind

Just purchased this pack in July 2014. Have used it 4 times in the Adirondacks of NY and AT in NJ and Maine. I bought it for the lesser pack weight of 3lbs 12oz vs my other, older Osprey pack. This is a one-size-fits-all pack with an adjustable stay system that I really liked, especially if you're an in-between size like me.

It carries 4,700 cu, so I did have to choose my gear wisely after using a 5,600 cu pack for many years. It has exterior pole carriers for those times when you don't need your poles and would prefer not to carry them. The loops for the carriers are on the left strap and left side of the hip belt. You can adjust the fit while hiking on the trail and I liked the exterior pockets on the hip belt.

The description on the pack in an outdoor guide I had read mentioned that the pack lacked "bells and whistles," but I must say I didn't feel like I was missing anything. Load distribution, compression, and ride were great and nothing less than I would have expected from the Osprey brand.

Overall I think this is a solid pack that I expect to have for many years.

Thanks for sharing your review, NE Backpacker. I hope you'll keep us posted on how the pack fares over time.