This pack is fabulous, the Vector attachments are…

Design: internal
Size: 6400
Number of Pockets: 5-6, depending on Vector attachments
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs
Height of Owner: 5,8

This pack is fabulous, the Vector attachments are great. Osprey claims the pack is 6400 but i believe it's a little smaller. None the less it still holds everything i could possibly need, even on long winter treks. I have only one complaint: it weighs about 2 times as much as my old Lowe Alpine. However, it makes up a thousand times that w/all the features it offers like the hybrid loading (top/panel access to gear), which is great when it's really cold and you'd otherwise have to feel around w/numb hands to find that hand warmer you swore you brought. I looked at the Mountain Smith packs, Gregory, and Dana and nothing came close to the adjustability and options available with this pack.

All and all a great pack w/a HUGE price tag ($409), but in my opinion well worth every cent of it.

I recently wore this pack to train for and to participate…

Design: Internal
Size: 7000 ci (size large/with the Vector Day)
Number of Pockets: toplid, upper, lower, & Vector day
Max. Load Carried: 75lb
Height of Owner: 6'4"

I recently wore this pack to train for and to participate in an expedition seminar on Mt. Rainier. I bought this pack because of its workmanship and comfort. While shopping I tried a Mountainsmith, a North Face, and a Kelty Lockdown. Each was tested with about 50lb load over a period of a couple of days.

The Osprey was the most comfortable and had by far had the best workmanship. A plus is Osprey's Vector system. The Vector compression system is a line of 8 different pack attachments that act to carry gear and serve as the main compression system for the pack bag. I upgraded the standard 400 Vector 2 for a highly versitle 750 Vector Day. The day serves as a small day-bag and also will house a hydration bladder! It's a great system. I plan to purchase additional Vector components.

Another plus to the Ospery Xenith is the fact that it has slash zips and a really nice built-in sleeping bag stuffer.... which makes getting your sleeping bag into the pack a BREEZE!!

In summary, it's a well thought out and well made pack, a very comfortable pack, and the vector compression system adds tremendous functionality and versatility!

This pack has a very comfortable suspension. It is…

Design: Internal
Size: 5200, extendible to 5600, Shadow Pack is 800
Number of Pockets: Three w/attached Shadow
Max. Load Carried: 75 lbs
Height of Owner: 5 feet 6 inches
Price Paid: $325 + $60 US

This pack has a very comfortable suspension. It is an evazote foam back with a small lumbar frame sheet, two aluminum stays, and a delrin hoop. The 75 lb load that I had in it for nearly 6 weeks felt like it was about 25-35 pounds lighter than actual weight.

The large compartment is easily accessed with the two side slash zips. The Speed-dee attachment system enables the use of many accessories, like the Shadow Fanny pack. The top pocket also converts to a fanny pack as well. The sleeping bag compartment has enough room for my North Face Snowshoe sleeping bag, as well as a Vapor Barrier liner and sometimes a bivy sack. I am able to fit in all my gear without any problems.

I have added a few non Osprey accessories to make this a great trekking pack. On the sides I have added Osprey water bottle holders, a Map Wrap and detachable wand pockets. Underneath the shoulder straps, I have added Dana Designs Wet Ribs for getting at food and additional waterbottles. And finally, I've put an Ultimate Directions FAST water bladder underneath the top pocket/fanny pack. This adds weight, but when camping in the desert, water is important.

Osprey Xenith

The Xenith has been discontinued.

The Osprey Xenith is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review