Osprey Xenon 70

Great pack, but fits a little funny. I used this pack…

Summary

Great pack, but fits a little funny.

Pros

• Stable
  • Nice Features
  • Color

Cons

• Weird fit

I used this pack on two multiple-day trips and it held up very nicely. It is very solidly built and seems like it would last a long time. However the framing on the pack pushes away from the back and caused some straining in my lower back, no matter how I adjusted it. I also experienced some pinching in my shoulder blades from the padding.

And yes, I did have my correct size and even had it adjusted by an expert, no luck. This pack didn't fit me but it might fit you, and if it does, you will have an excellent expedition style pack with plenty of room. I ended up trading this in for the 2013 Osprey Ariel 65L, which is lighter and distributes the weight comfortably.

Just for reference I'm 5'7", 130lbs and my torso length is 18", and I had a women's size M.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Odd, I own the Argon(male version) and I have to somewhat disagree with the pack "pushing away from the back.) The frame as you refer to it is actually stiffening rods. The stays of the pack(dual) are actually located behind the back panel which is... Pretty close to your back. I am wondering; were you properly fitted for this pack? Did you remove the hipbelt and remove the stays? If you do this they can be bent to conform to your back a bit better. What you are referencing is the Recurve suspension system in the pack and it really has nothing to do with the packload being pushed away from your back being it is part of the main bags sidewalls and a bladder sits between them against one's back. Look at your pack a bit closer and you will see what I mean.

1 year ago
LadyBerg

Yeah I understand what you're saying and thank you for clarifying the terminology. :) I did have the pack fitted by an REI expert and the only thing we didn't do was adjust the stays. I have exchanged the pack so I can't do this now, but I do know that the second I put on the Ariel 65L pack I felt more comfortable and at home.

1 year ago
If you've owned or used an Osprey Xenon 70, please share your experience.