HALO Pocket Power StarLight 3000

These are getting better. Beware: Electricity flows…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

These are getting better. Beware: Electricity flows both ways. Update: It has now died.

Pros

• Small
  • Easy to use
  • USB Port
  • Charged my phone 85% or so

Cons

• No "check valve"
  • Light switch comes on too easily
  • It just died

For once I got something useful at the office Christmas gift exchange! Of course I am on the naughty list so anything I get is a blessing. At first I thought I had gotten a stick of lipstick but then I realized that it's actually something useful, so I was overjoyed.

20131231_085304.jpg
What comes with the kit: the lipstick-looking thingy is the charger ;)

20131231_085520.jpg

In action

The charger couldn't be simpler to use: plug it into something to charge the Pocket Power 3000. This is easy since it has a USB and 110v plug adapter included. Then attach the appropriate adapter and plug your gadget in and walk away, or put it in a pocket.

20131231_085317.jpg

S-O-S or just steady on. Be Careful! It came on accidentally more than once in my pocket. A piece of tape might fix this.

The charger has a flashlight that also flashes S-O-S because everyone is always needing that right? Maybe not, but another flashlight is always handy. There is a charge indicator that tells you semi-accurately how much is left in the thing before you plug it in.

20131231_085347.jpg

USB Port

The big flaw of this is that power flows into and out of this charger with equal ease so, if you leave it plugged into a device it is likely that, once it nears empty it will use that line to charge itself until the charge in the device and the charger reach equilibrium.

In a perfect world there would be a "check valve" to keep power flowing one direction but, oh well, the price was right. It easily charged an iPod Nano and gave me a 85% charge on my Samsung Galaxy in about an hour. This about doubled my phone battery time so I will be bringing this on future trips in case I need an electronic device (Phone/GPS) and I run low on juice.

2/6/14 Update: It no longer works.  It refuses to take or give a charge. I called their customer service to no avail. I guess I am stuck.

Any insight on price and availability. (Yes, I could look it up, but I'll make you do it, Jeff!)

FromSagetoSnow

Lol, in the neighborhood of $20-30 I think my boss went over the $10 gift exchange limit but she can afford it.

Product defective. Replacement defective. Further…

Summary

Product defective. Replacement defective. Further contact ignored by company.

Pros

• Clever idea to combine with flashlight

Cons

• Did not work

Product arrived DOA so I emailed support and received a return authorization which I filled out and returned with the defective product at my expense. I received a replacement which was also DOA but with a different failure mode. Subsequent efforts to contact the company were ignored.

So, I paid for the product and paid to return the defective product and was then ignored when I asked for another replacement.

I used it one time. It would not recharge.

Summary

I used it one time. It would not recharge.

Cons

• It would not recharge for another use.
  • It is a one-time use item.
  • A pretty big, and expensive drawback.

Used about eight times. Works fast. Completely charges…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Used about eight times. Works fast. Completely charges my Samsung Galaxy in two hours. No problems so far.

Pros

• Fast
  • Everything fits in small bag so I can easily carry it with me.
  • Simple to use.

Cons

• Light stays on a while after unplugged.

I received this as a Christmas gift. I often forget to charge my phone before leaving home so this is very handy for me. I have used it at least eight times with great results each time. So far, so good.

The only thing I don't like is that the charge light stays on for awhile after you unplug it and that seems like a waste of power.

HALO Pocket Power StarLight 3000

The HALO Pocket Power StarLight 3000 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new power storage, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016