Lee Valley Telescoping Hiking Stick

My favourite walking stick on trails or on streets!

Price Paid: current price is $29.50 CDN

Summary

My favourite walking stick on trails or on streets! It can be gripped on the foam grip like a nordic walking pole, or the wooden knob can be held in my palm. I like the anti-shock spring. The length can be adjusted quickly. It's also a camera monopod.

Pros

• Adjusts quickly from 29 3/4 inches to 62 inches
  • Anti-shock spring
  • Wrist strap that can be removed
  • Wooden knob on top is comfortable to grip when stick is short like a cane
  • Remove knob to reveal a camera mount, so the stick is a monopod
  • Lee Valley also sells replacement tips for when the rubber end wears through

Cons

• Doesn't telescope as short as some other sticks

This walking stick was bought by my spouse as a gift in 2007 and I've used it  for ten years. The adjustable length is the best feature! I keep changing it from "the middle" for walking on city streets, "longer" when on hiking trails, and "shorter" when indoors or travelling by bus or plane. The sponge-y grip is still comfortable and in good shape after ten years of use.

walkingstick.jpg

The locking mechanism is still easy to use and reliable. I do NOT use this stick for skiing or dangerous mountain climbing! I use it on streets and walking trails (I walk a lot!) and scrambling up rough trails.

When I've racked a knee or gibbled a hip, this is my preferred cane because I can cup the wooden knob in my hand OR lengthen the stick and grip it like a nordic walking pole. The anti-shock mechanism still works after ten years—and in newer models it can be turned off.

The wrist strap is adjustable, but mostly I leave it at the length that works best for me. It can be removed, but I like being able to hang the stick from my wrist. To free up a hand I'll shorten the stick and slip the strap over my wrist, with my arm bent so I can hold a mug or a clipboard. The stick can dangle without touching the ground.

The stick is slightly more flexible (which I like) than another adjustable walking stick I bought three years later. The other stick has more sections and telescopes short enough to fit inside a suitcase.

My daughter is a photographer, and she liked borrowing my stick to use with her camera. She's a fan of monopods as lighter and easier to carry than tripods.

The basket stays on, and is small enough not to get in my way. For the first five years I could switch the moderate-size basket with one like a ski pole has. I haven't tried in a couple years.

All this walking has worn through two rubber tips. I had no trouble finding replacements where nordic walking sticks are sold. If you order one of these walking sticks from Lee Valley order a replacement tip to keep in your toolbox.

The wooden knob eventually got scratches in the varnish, so this winter I sanded off the varnish and my spouse stained it a nice dark colour.

Sounds like a good bargain for the past decade, Paula! Thanks for the review.

Paula Johanson BRAND REP MEDIA

It's funny how the scratched varnish got on my nerves, eh? I miss the honey-coloured varnish sometimes, but the smooth matte finish my spouse put on it feels nicer in my hand. Years of use will make gear look a bit battered :)

Paula Johanson BRAND REP MEDIA

I forgot to mention! Lee Valley also carries an eagle head that screws onto the tops of canes like this one. Anyone who gets tired of a wooden knob can replace it with a brass eagle head, which is totally retro.

Paula Johanson BRAND REP MEDIA

Check out http://leevalley.com for good quality tools and gardening gear. Not cheap, but excellent service when ordering online, returns are allowed.