Montana Mountaineering Summit Jacket

A cool idea that could do with a little help in the…

Summary

A cool idea that could do with a little help in the execution.

Pros

• Fits a man with longer arms
  • Doesn't ride up during use
  • Water resistant, by softshell standards
  • Light weight
  • Just the right insulation
  • Hood is NOT removable
  • Just the right insulation level
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Several "IP" threads make me think it will eventually need mending
  • Only available from Bob Ward stores in Montana

52259-DEFAULT-m.jpg

A while ago I read that a softshell that was also insulating would be an ideal do-everything coat for climbers. I ended up in Butte, MT, last spring with inadequate coat-age and decided to try this one out. This jacket gives you softshell material where you need it and synthetic insulation where you don't.

The first thing I liked was the cut. It is cut in a form-fitting way to allow light layering underneath and keeps your heat next to you. The longer sleeves keep it from climbing up your back when your hands go above your head, as in climbing. If I wanted, my puffy or hardshell will fit over it.

The next like was the soft-shell material over the shoulders and sleeves. I spent a day skiing in a constant drizzle and the shell material kept the water off me and out of my pants. The tails kept my rear-end dry and never exposed my backside.

My first softshell was a disaster but, from the encouraging of TS members I gave the material another try. I am pleased so far. I never liked the weight of traditional softshell jackets but this one is way lighter because the torso area is made of lighter fabric.

During hikes in cold weather the extremely long pit-zips keep me ventilating well and the other material breathes better than goretex and only a little less than a thick wool sweater. After exerting in it all day it did get a tad funky as most synthetics will.

The hood cinches in two places as does the waist area, as you would expect in a decent jacket.

My dislikes: This jacket came with a lot of "IPs" that is, little threads hanging off which made me worry about durability. I had to mend some of the light quilting stitching where my pack wore through; no biggie to me.

Being a store brand, only available from Bob Ward stores in MT, I am not sure if it's a cheaply made knockoff or a generic version of an identical jacket from a bigger company. So far I thik its the real deal. It has a logo on the back of the right shoulder like another brand I know.

I use it for days when I know it might rain but not so much that I need full-fledged Gore-tex protection. It breathes nicely and sheds a light rain while keeping me from getting chilled during breaks, I think that's what it made for, so what's to hate?

The Summit Jacket from Montana Mountaineering features a hybrid construction and design by combining softshell hood, shoulders and sleeves with the warmth of an insulated lower section. Waterproof/Breathable performance with pit zips to vent during strenuous activities along with two hand warming pockets and interior media pocket.

FEATURES:

• Waterproof/Breathable construction
  • Hybrid Softshell/Insulated design
  • Two zippered hand pockets
  • Zippered pit vents
  • Bungee drawcord at waist hem
  • Adjustable hook and loop cuffs
  • Interior media pocket
  • Micro-fleece lining in sleeves and shoulders
  • Attached, adjustable storm hood
  • Zippered chest pocket

Visit 's Montana Mountaineering Summit Jacket page.

Montana Mountaineering Summit Jacket

The Montana Mountaineering Summit Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.