P-38 U.S. Military Can Opener

Swiss army of the can openers. Actually, it was a…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Swiss army of the can openers.

Pros

• Stainless steel
  • Very sharp
  • Easy to handle
  • Weigthless

Cons

• None

IMAG1336.jpg

Actually, it was a gift from a fellow eBay seller many years ago. I've kept it all these years in a slit like pocket of Leatherman Core's cordura pouch. Since it is relatively small and almost two-dimensional when folded, it can be carried in anywhere.

It's been a long time since I dropped my canned food from my backpack, but hey, you never know when an unexpected grab-and-go trip happens and all you can do is buy a few canned food from the market and go. They are always good if you do not wanna go preparing your meal(s) on the field, anyway.

I was checking my tool to see it functioned flawlessly when this can opener dropped from the pouch in front of me. I grabbed it and wanted to give it try. I was looking for a gas can or something similar when I realized my wife emptied a 5 liter olive oil can and put it in the recycling bin. I immediately grabbed the can and tried the can opener on it.

The handling was so smooth and comfortable that I was just carried away cutting the three edges with ease. Right about to turn the final edge did I realize to make a video. At the end of the entire cutting cycle, the edges were so nicely cut that I did not feel any need to wear gloves when handling or holding the can through the cut edges.

A very nice and handy tool from the U.S. Army. Every outdoor enthusiast should have one. I love it.

IMAG1330.jpg

FromSagetoSnow

I still keep my dad's from the 1960s on my keychain; works great still!

Brings back memories of Boy Scouts!

GaryPalmer

I have one I have used for 20 years, never seems to get dull!

DonP

got one back in the 60s from a surplus store and have had one in my kits ever since. You're right about the "grab-n-go" meals, and I occasionally grab a Zataran's Gumbo mix and a can of tiny shrimp and those cans have no pull tab opening, so....out comes the P38 and the can comes open. :)

This item was originally designed for the US military,…

Price Paid: 50 cents

Summary

This item was originally designed for the US military, its a simple tiny can opener, never needs sharpening, works on any style can (rectangle, round, oval). They cost about .50 cents for two at Campmor and other companies.

Pros

• Made of steel, is super light and works!

Cons

• Sharp point on can pierce can be easily modified with a rubber band around the folded point.

My-P38-can-opener.jpg

Can't get much more detailed than I already have stated about it. Simple to use, one handed (actually one finger and the thumb) right hand only, but not sure, may be able to get one for lefties.

Note picture: it's as small as two pennies side by side, mine made in Canada. Maybe their military not ours.

Has hole to attach to a key ring or string, etc.

Nice review, Gary.

Indestructible, handy. Opens any size can, seconds…

Source: In case of C rations

Summary

Indestructible, handy.

Pros

• Always works

Cons

• Will put a hole in your pocket if you just toss it in your pocket

Opens any size can, seconds as a flat tip screwdriver, opens paint cans using the flat side to pry the tops off, like a can of Johnsons paste wax. All military personnel have shined floors with that stuff... Civilian version is much larger and able to apply force easier.

P-38 I have a P-38 on every keychain I own. Some I…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (US Army)

Summary

P-38

Pros

• Very portable
  • Light
  • Functional

Cons

• May stick you in the leg if you attach it to a keychain.

I have a P-38 on every keychain I own. Some I bought and some were included in cases of C rations from the early '70s. The are ALMOST indestructible and having one can be very useful in the field or in the office.

Get one and learn to use it.

P-38 U.S. Military Can Opener

No price on record.

The P-38 U.S. Military Can Opener is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new kitchen accessory, check out the best reviewed current models.