P-38 U.S. Military Can Opener

Swiss army of the can openers. Actually, it was a…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Swiss army of the can openers.

Pros

• Stainless steel
  • Very sharp
  • Easy to handle
  • Weigthless

Cons

• None

IMAG1336.jpg

Actually, it was a gift from a fellow eBay seller many years ago. I've kept it all these years in a slit like pocket of Leatherman Core's cordura pouch. Since it is relatively small and almost two-dimensional when folded, it can be carried in anywhere.

It's been a long time since I dropped my canned food from my backpack, but hey, you never know when an unexpected grab-and-go trip happens and all you can do is buy a few canned food from the market and go. They are always good if you do not wanna go preparing your meal(s) on the field, anyway.

I was checking my tool to see it functioned flawlessly when this can opener dropped from the pouch in front of me. I grabbed it and wanted to give it try. I was looking for a gas can or something similar when I realized my wife emptied a 5 liter olive oil can and put it in the recycling bin. I immediately grabbed the can and tried the can opener on it.

The handling was so smooth and comfortable that I was just carried away cutting the three edges with ease. Right about to turn the final edge did I realize to make a video. At the end of the entire cutting cycle, the edges were so nicely cut that I did not feel any need to wear gloves when handling or holding the can through the cut edges.

A very nice and handy tool from the U.S. Army. Every outdoor enthusiast should have one. I love it.

IMAG1330.jpg

FromSagetoSnow

I still keep my dad's from the 1960s on my keychain; works great still!

Brings back memories of Boy Scouts!

GaryPalmer

I have one I have used for 20 years, never seems to get dull!

DonP

got one back in the 60s from a surplus store and have had one in my kits ever since. You're right about the "grab-n-go" meals, and I occasionally grab a Zataran's Gumbo mix and a can of tiny shrimp and those cans have no pull tab opening, so....out comes the P38 and the can comes open. :)

JimA

The key, as you've so ably demonstrated in your video is to get a nice rocking motion going and don't try to cut too much of the lid with any single pass. The result is a nice smooth edge.

Great compact can opener from a different time. I…

Summary

Great compact can opener from a different time.

I imagine the new ones, like the old, are cheap stampings. I carry the one my dad got in his Army days (1958-1961). He had that thing banging around on his keyring for 50 years, so maybe all the sharp edges got worn down?

Anyway, I've never had a problem just carrying it in my pocket, but if you did, just clip it to the outside of your pack and Bob's your uncle. Why overcomplicate things?

And... if you're getting bloody, you're doing it wrong. Never had a lick of trouble opening cans of with mine. Not to mention its other uses. It's a decent screwdriver in a pinch and you can use it for lifting pull tabs on cans, cutting open those little bags of peanuts you get on airplanes, etc.

Unlike a lot of tools, you can get this one through airport security. You could probably even sharpen an edge if you wanted, though the body is mild steel so it wouldn't hold up for long.

Barry Kay

I believe the body is hard, carbon steel. Just ask my drill bit and little hand punch that I attempted to use on the prototype. Some brands are supposedly made of stainless but not the originals and not these.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jim.

Sean Parker

These have been standard issue in Australian Army ration packs for decades- colloquially and affectionately called a 'FRED': frankly* ridiculous eating device

Fun fact, Sean! Thanks for sharing. I've learned more about can openers in the last two weeks than in my entire life.

Well, it works, sort of... One guy in the military…

Price Paid: next to nothing I think

Summary

Well, it works, sort of...

Pros

• Small and light
  • There are no alternatives

Cons

• You bleed a good deal using it
  • Not the easiest way to get a lid off

One guy in the military said this item was "great if you like the taste of blood in your spam." That is about right.

A previous reviewer noted that the new model has a clip to retain the blade in a semi-fixed manner. Maybe, but I am not going to go putting it into my pocket anytime soon. In a pack you need a rigid container like a film can (and nowadays, where do you get one of those?). The film can adds to the bulk if not substantially to the weight.  I used to use a thin strip of duck tape to hold the blade down and keep it in a small nylon sack with other small possibles. I suppose you could also probably use a rubber band, which would also eliminate tape gunk in your food.

So, the item in any permutation is not exactly a miracle of efficiency, but in short, what is the alternative if you foresee any chance of needing to open a can? Some, although not all Swiss army knives have what claims to be a can-opener blade, but they make this old GI can opener look like a miracle of efficiency.

Mostly these days I do not go out for more than a couple of nights and can pretty much predict not to have to open a can. I do not carry a can opener any more, but for the thru hiker, unless you are prepared to use your knife, this is the only option. I guess in those circumstances I would still use it.

Oh, one final point. The ones made by Coghlan's are larger than the true GI openers (which I am told are no longer manufactured). However as the previous reviewer noted, generic after-market openers (like Coghlan's) are unreliable. I have had them fall apart in my hand mid-can opening.

Afterword: The supermarket where I do much of my food shopping just began carrying half cans of things like corned beef hash. The store is a common supply stop on the AT and is generally mentioned in the guidebooks, so I guess that it may be a nod to the thru hikers that supply there commonly during warmer weather. I wonder how many will have an operative can opener in these latter UL days? Still there are a lot of calories in some canned foods if you can get pass the weight of the initial carry. Still, after four months of walking I would probably kill for a meal of hash. Oh and one further note...supposedly this item cost the US government $250,000 to develop.

Thanks for the info, David.

Likely to hurt your hand if you don't file the corner.

Price Paid: .40 each for 100

Summary

Likely to hurt your hand if you don't file the corner.

Pros

• Small
  • Cheap

Cons

• Poorly made

There are several current versions of the P-38. Some people say that the ones stamped with "US Shelby" are the real deal, but the Shelby company that used to make P-38s for the military no longer exists and what you're getting these days are likely Chinese copies. I don't believe sellers that say otherwise.

There seem to be an unlimited number of these available new and they're unlikely all surplus. Amazon should require sellers to show their receipts. There are Chinese factories that will stamp whatever you want on P-38 can openers and they're far from military spec.

I've found the corner by the hole on those stamped "Shelby" to be sufficiently rounded on only about half. If you get one that's not rounded by the corner, you can try fixing it and risk ruining a file on the carbon steel or just deal with the pain in your index finger when you use it.

The one pictured says MIL-J-0837, not Shelby. I've tried these too and they're arguably even lower quality than today's Shelbys, their only redeeming quality being that they all have round corners by the hole. This number was stamped on a version that was actually used in the military, but like the Shelby, these are likely not mil spec P-38s, just poorly made copies.

The filing job these require is easier than on the Shelbys because there's less material you need to remove. You have to file the edge at the corner by the hole to remove a burr that could hurt your index finger, and you should probably file the face of it in the same corner. And the blade is impossible to open the first time by hand. And the blade over rotates so you may have to position it in the right spot once you place the P-38 on the can.

Some people complain that they get cut when they open by themselves. I keep mine in a closed key case and I use a version with a blade lock so I never had a problem.

Thanks for the info, Barry.

This item was originally designed for the US military.

Price Paid: 50 cents

Summary

This item was originally designed for the US military. It's a simple tiny can opener, never needs sharpening, works on any style can (rectangle, round, oval). They cost about 50 cents for two at Campmor and other companies.

Pros

• Made of steel,
  • Is super light
  • Works!

Cons

• Sharp point on can pierce can be easily modified with a rubber band around the folded point.

My-P38-can-opener.jpg

Can't get much more detailed than I already have stated about it. Simple to use, one handed (actually one finger and the thumb), right hand only, but not sure, may be able to get one for lefties.

Note picture: It's as small as two pennies side by side, mine made in Canada. Maybe their military not ours.

Has hole to attach to a keyring or string, etc.

Nice review, Gary.

No man or woman should be without one. Not everything…

Source: Hell, I can't remember that.

Summary

No man or woman should be without one. Not everything has a pop top or a bag zipper. Only an idiot could cut himself/herself using a P-38.

Pros

• Folds down small
  • Works
  • Low cost

Cons

• None

I have had one on my key chain and with my backpacking stove since I left the military more years ago than I want to remember. It's the greatest invention since C-rations . :)

Thanks for the review, Bob.

I've had a P-38 on all my key chains for 25+ years.

Summary

I've had a P-38 on all my key chains for 25+ years.

Pros

Cons

• Need to practice with it

I have a P-38 on all my key chains. Have had and used mine for 25+ years—very handy. Used on round and rectangular cans, and doubles in a pinch as a flat bladed screwdriver.

Originally got from a can of calcium carbide (for miner's lamps or carbide cannons). Essential gear!

Welcome to Trailspace, Allen.

Will open cans for minimal weight. I have a warm spot…

Price Paid: Can't remember, but less than a buck

Summary

Will open cans for minimal weight.

Pros

• works fairly well
  • Compact and light
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Strong surplus models hard to find
  • May have outlived its usefulness

I have a warm spot in my heart for the venerable P-38, much like the one I have for my old Trapper Nelson wood-framed backpack. It's a wonderful classic piece of gear that is of limited utility in the 21st century. I keep a P-38 in every vehicle, virtually never use them.

The problem isn't with the opener itself, but rather the chore it does. If you are backpacking (or even paddling and portaging) what the devil are you carrying cans for? If you are car camping, why not use a "real" can opener. There is a wide selection of processed "non-perishable" food available in boilable pouches that isn't any worse for you than canned goods.

I have broken or bent the new cheapo (Coghlan's etc.) models in a half dozen ways, but they will work if you are careful.

I suppose if you are not counting grams it might be worth carrying one into the backcountry. Never know when you might blunder into an unopened can whose contents you can't live without.

Welcome to Trailspace, Tim! Thanks for the review of this popular piece of gear. I'd love to read a review of your Trapper Nelson!

A fine little piece of work. I hope the guy who invented…

Source: They came with C Rations. Basically, issued.

Summary

A fine little piece of work. I hope the guy who invented the P38 got a huge bonus for it.

Pros

• I've never bled using mine, just gotta get that opening rhythm down
  • It opens all manner of tin and aluminum cans

Cons

• The cheap knockoffs, as mentioned, are worthless and don't work.

So, where do I carry mine that I've had since I joined the Army in 1974? Well, since my Swiss Army knife can opener doesn't work as good as a P38, mine is attached to that very knife. The little split ring at the one end holds it nicely.

Oh, you can get originals at Army surplus stores, but they are getting rarer.

Thanks for the review, Mike! Do you have a picture of your P38 you could show others in your review?

Very handy also as a screwdriver. I have carried a…

Summary

Very handy also as a screwdriver.

I have carried a P-38 (stamped GG Green 1957) in my pocket since military service in 1965, never opened accidentally in my pocket to cause a problem. What's the problem?

Welcome to Trailspace, Don.

Does the job it was designed to do. Got mine in the…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize

Summary

Does the job it was designed to do.

Pros

• Old school cool

Got mine in the Marines back when C-rats were on the menu.

Sometimes called a “John Wayne” we would anger the old timers by calling it a “James Dean.”

This is the ultimate post-apocalypse tool. You could be the hero when all that’s left is canned goods.

Thanks for the review, Curtis!

Rob R

It does do the job. I picked up a P-51. It's a little larger than the P-38, easier to hold.

Rob, I just made a product page for the P-51 for another review: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/p-51-u.s.-military-can-opener/

Indestructible, handy. Opens any size can, seconds…

Source: In case of C rations

Summary

Indestructible, handy.

Pros

• Always works

Cons

• Will put a hole in your pocket if you just toss it in your pocket

Opens any size can, seconds as a flat tip screwdriver, opens paint cans using the flat side to pry the tops off, like a can of Johnsons paste wax. All military personnel have shined floors with that stuff.

Civilian version is much larger and able to apply force easier.

P-38 I have a P-38 on every keychain I own. Some I…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (US Army)

Summary

P-38

Pros

• Very portable
  • Light
  • Functional

Cons

• May stick you in the leg if you attach it to a keychain.

I have a P-38 on every keychain I own. Some I bought and some were included in cases of C rations from the early '70s. The are ALMOST indestructible and having one can be very useful in the field or in the office.

Get one and learn to use it.