SE 11" Full Tang Camping Knife

This is a big knife that works extremely nicely for…

Summary

This is a big knife that works extremely nicely for hacking or batoning (placing on wood and hitting it with another stick). I recommend this knife to anyone who likes the idea of having a knife that also works as a small hatchet.

Pros

• Strong steel
  • Cheap
  • Easy to customize
  • Tanto point for more precise cuts
  • Full Tang
  • Included fire starter is very good

Cons

• Sheath flimsy
  • Para chord wrapping doesn't last
  • Saw is pretty useless

SE 11" Full Tang Fire Starter Hunting Camping Knife W/flint

Modifications

Everyone whom I’ve seen with this knife has customized it to make it fit their style. For example I’ve seen people who added their own para-chord around the handle to give a better grip. I personally made a wooden handle out of purple heartwood for mine.

The sheath is also easy to modify. For example I’ve seen some people who made plastic interiors for their sheaths because the nylon is easily punctured at the tip of the blade, and I just made my own sheath out of thin rawhide. After the modification I basically fixed all the little issues that made the knife a little bit annoying at first.

How to use

To baton with this knife it is important not to hit the saw part with your stick because it greatly increases the chances that a tooth breaks off, so there is an area at the front towards the tip where it is meant to be hit for ideal and easy splitting.

The knife is also good for hacking away the bark and small branches from small trees for building a shelter frame or collecting fire wood.

The fire starter works very well. My suggestion is that you use the part that you baton against to rub against the starter to make the sparks.

Images of my knife

074.jpg
087.jpg
227.jpg

trouthunter MODERATOR

What type of metal is this knife made from, and what is the Rockwell hardness?

Survivalistarm

I can't tell you any specific Rockwell hardness but I can tell you that it is made of 440 stainless steel that is usually used in: surgical tools, quality knife blades and, ball bearings. The article I read about it said that it was very hard. To read this article look up 440 stainless steel and you'll find a website called azom, sorry that I can't include the link, trailspace won't let me. Hope this helped.

trouthunter MODERATOR

Thanks, I was looking for a cheap tanto to keep on my boat.

If you've owned or used a SE 11" Full Tang Camping Knife, please share your experience.

SE 11" Full Tang Camping Knife

The SE 11" Full Tang Camping Knife is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.