Trader Joe's Pour-Over Coffee Brewer

Ultra lightweight coffee in the backcountry that tastes…

Summary

Ultra lightweight coffee in the backcountry that tastes better than Starbucks.

• Simplistic
  • Tastes amazing
  • Dark roast
  • Cheap
  • Drink right out of the package

Cons

• You have to pack out the container
  • You can't reseal the container once it's been opened
  • It's not free? Sorry, I can't think of any cons.

IMG_2030.jpg
Buy at any local Trader Joe's. Pack in as many as you think you'd drink. They're ultralight.

Boil two cups of water your favorite way. The waterproof packets are filled with ground coffee. The container has a built-in filtration system. Open the "ziplock" style top. Slowly add water. The side tells you how much to add—Mild to Strong. Let sit and cool down.

If I'm near water I set mine in a stream for a minute. Break off the spout and enjoy. Once you're done, pack out the trash. I personally cut mine open and let the coffee grinds dry out. Every ounce counts.

If you enjoy a nice dark roast, I think you'll enjoy this simple, light, easy product. It's luxuries like this that make my girlfriend enjoy the backcountry. Especially when I can't notice the weight in my pack! Try it at home before you go out.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jesse! Thanks for the coffee recommendation.

David Link

I have to say that I really enjoyed the two highly differing reviews of this coffee. I almost was like they were different products!

Jesse Jordan

Thank you Alicia! Good to be here. David, I'm surprised by the other commenter's review. For a buck fifty, I'd try one at home for yourself. I let mine sit for a while as I break camp. Maybe that's the difference. Maybe it's the filtered stream water, haha, but I doubt it. Good luck.

David, maybe you can cast a deciding vote! It is interesting how much personal tastes can differ.

kevinshanks

I have yet to try this on the trail, but recently saw it on the shelf at my local TJ's so picked some up. Sounds promising. I have been looking for something that is convenient and easy since Java Juice stopped production. Thanks for the review!

Kevin, I hope you'll review it too and let us know what you think of it.

David Link

So I happened to be in Trader Joes yesterday, so picked one of these up. Far from being the worst I've had, I would put it in the range of "acceptable." My biggest concern, would be hauling the empty containers out, esp on a multi-day trip. I still prefer my GSI drip filter with my Peets.

David Link

As an aside... my long time backpacking partner hauls a hand grinder and aero press on his trips. We get fresh ground every morning!

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Thanks, Jesse for the review. I've also tried this, but can not condone the waste of packing it out, and ecologically, would rather use a simple small packet of Starbuck's Via or my favorite, Hagen's Organic Instant coffee jars, and just fold what I need for a backcountry trip into one resealed plastic bag. I did like the taste though, but feel it's a packaging disaster!

I've tried it and even added two to my bug-out bag.

Price Paid: maybe $2.50

Summary

I've tried it and even added two to my bug-out bag. I did not find the taste to be artificial, actually tasted like honest brewed coffee. I was surprised. A good backup for ski houses, etc.

Pros

• Real brewed coffee

Cons

• Potential for being scalded when resealing packet after pouring in boiling water.

I was pretty impressed. As far as quick on the fly coffee brewing is concerned, I liked it. The coffee tasted pretty good. You have to remove the plastic cap on the plastic pouring spout when you add the hot water.

Be careful, resealing the pouch after the hot water is added can be dodgy.

Thanks for the review, Kevin.

Hard to imagine a use for this one. It's expensive,…

Summary

Hard to imagine a use for this one. It's expensive, makes weak "coffee" that tastes like plastic and then there's the disposal problem.

Cons

• Expensive
  • Heavy and bulky
  • Weak
  • Awful taste

I'd tried one of these brew-in-bag systems once before (from a different source) and it too was terrible. So now, a couple of years later, I thought I'd try it again.

Retrospectively, I can't think of why I thought this was a good idea. You pour hot water into the bag and you can make it weak or strong. I chose strong. I waited the recommended time plus a minute or two and then opened the spout and poured my nice fresh strong coffee. Then I tasted it. Then I poured it down the drain.

It was easy. Yes. It was weak, very weak. Since it tasted so terrible that may be a point in its favor. There was almost no coffee flavor but there was a nice chemical hit with a lovely plastic aftertaste. It provided me the energy to get rid of the remainder as quickly as I could.

Was it convenient? Well, it was sort of convenient to make but then what would you do with the leftover bag? The bag is a mix of paper and at least two types of plastic. Landfill seems the only way for it to end its visible life. As I said, I wasn't thinking this through when I bought it.

Who would I recommend this to? Corporate coal and oil lobbyists. Anti-wilderness zealots. The presidents of Russia and Syria. My college philosophy professor, and almost all the politicians running for president. But all others, avoid this one.

Thanks for the warning, Mentalfloss1.

I have used this twice on camping/backpacking trips.

Price Paid: Under 2 dollars

Summary

I have used this twice on camping/backpacking trips. Blah. And blah again below average coffee and lots of waste to carry out. Then there is the little plastic cap that is easy to lose and bad for the environment once you do. Starbucks or any other powdered coffee is better than this.

Pros

• It's coffee

Cons

• Weak synthetic taste
  • Plastic cap
  • Trash to carry put