Outbound Mercury Guide 6

This tent is built tough for the price. The floor…

Design: Three+season Freestanding, 4 pole dome
Sleeps: 6+
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 21 pounds total

This tent is built tough for the price. The floor is 5000mm coated 420D Oxford bathtub, #10 zippers, 2000mm coated 75D 190T fly, a huge main and sizable second vestibule, and 2 large mesh/solid doors. Plenty big and tall inside, at 89 square feet.

There is an included gearloft with a lantern hanger and 6 pockets for storage. It's nice having so many places for organizing the small stuff. The fly buckles on, cinches down to the ground, and has kept my family dry in a strong storm we had this February. It is fairly heavy. Built in Canada and spec'd as a 3 season, I'd rate this as a 3+ season.

The only downside is a lack of ventilation on the top of the tent, so it seems to be built for Colder regions. I will say that the two mesh doors are HUGE and allow plenty of cross-venthilation. I have never had a problem with condensation, but I live in dry SoCal, so even the winters (though cold in the mountains) are dry.

The tent is very stable, but features 11mm fiberglass poles. Alluminum poles are now available directly from outbound.ca if I ever want/need to replace the existing ones. Solidly built, with great zippers and 10 guy points/lines. I have set this up with my 10 year old in less than 10 minutes, including the fly. A great value.

This is a great tent - for the right person -well…

This is a great tent - for the right person -well constructed - great to sleep in and to look at.

However it was sold to me with the female salesperson knowing I'm a single parent with one child - I stand just under  5' 4" and my daughter  was about 4' 8" when we purchased it. Even with two adult sized females now (child is now 5' 3.5") it is a struggle to get up.

So...great tent - not so easy to set up. And if you have any disability in your arms - which I now do - it's now time to sell it and find something that works better or give up camping completely.

If you've owned or used an Outbound Mercury Guide 6, please share your experience.

Outbound Mercury Guide 6

The Mercury Guide 6 has been discontinued.

The Outbound Mercury Guide 6 is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new tent/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.