Outbound Mercury Guide 6

Design: Three+season Freestanding, 4 pole dome
Sleeps: 6+
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 21 pounds total

This tent is built tough for the price. The floor is 5000mm coated 420D Oxford bathtub, #10 zippers, 2000mm coated 75D 190T fly, a huge main and sizable second vestibule, and 2 large mesh/solid doors. Plenty big and tall inside, at 89 square feet.

There is an included gearloft with a lantern hanger and 6 pockets for storage. It's nice having so many places for organizing the small stuff. The fly buckles on, cinches down to the ground, and has kept my family dry in a strong storm we had this February. It is fairly heavy. Built in Canada and spec'd as a 3 season, I'd rate this as a 3+ season.

The only downside is a lack of ventilation on the top of the tent, so it seems to be built for Colder regions. I will say that the two mesh doors are HUGE and allow plenty of cross-venthilation. I have never had a problem with condensation, but I live in dry SoCal, so even the winters (though cold in the mountains) are dry.

The tent is very stable, but features 11mm fiberglass poles. Alluminum poles are now available directly from outbound.ca if I ever want/need to replace the existing ones. Solidly built, with great zippers and 10 guy points/lines. I have set this up with my 10 year old in less than 10 minutes, including the fly. A great value.

Have you owned or used an Outbound Mercury Guide 6? Share your experience »