Outdoor Research Alti Gloves

These gloves are very warm! A little to warm for the…

Summary

These gloves are very warm! A little to warm for the 14ers and lower 48 mountains. I took them to Pico De Orizaba and they worked perfectly on the glacier and in the morning up there. The dexterity was great considering they are comfort rated from -5 to -20. They are a great glove and I can't wait to use them on Acon!

Pros

• removable liner
  • waterproof
  • lightweight
  • warm warm warm
  • good price
  • the wrist cinches

Cons

• I don't know

I bought the medium and they worked well. I am 6'1" and so I tried the large, but they were too big. They are warm and a perfect pair if you want separate the liner from the shell on warmer days, or use the pair on cold days.

I have read many negative reviews about these gloves,…

Price Paid: 120.00 C

I have read many negative reviews about these gloves, and a few positive ones, but I recently purchased a pair on sale.

My hands are a problem to keep warm in the winter due to the fact that in order to maintain dexterity you can't have a lot of insulation over them, and in order to keep them warm you must. So, therein lies the problem.

I live in the Arctic and spend a lot of time working outside in temperatures below -40 C, so I am particular about the clothing I wear. What I discovered about the Alti Glove is that they work just fine. In comparison with the Black Diamond Guide Glove, which I also own, I would have to say that they are on par, if not better.

My only complaint is that the Alti Glove does not have Pittards leather palm, but have chosen for some reason to go with AlpinGrip which seems to be less robust. But, if it is any indication as to how well these can insulate, I slept outside at -42 C with just my clothes and Alti Gloves and they kept my hands warm. I should caution that I was dressed very well, was well fed and hydrated.

If anyone reading this article decides to purchase these, please remember that gloves are inherently "less warm" than mitts for obvious reasons and gloves, more so than mitts, should fit well. For extreme cold and when I don't need my fingers separated I go with OR Alti Mitts with thin liner gloves inside.