Outdoor Research Aria Down Vest

This is a great vest that is warm and lightweight.

Summary

This is a great vest that is warm and lightweight. It is a favorite of mine on and off the trail.

Pros

• Warm
  • Hood, for extra layers

Cons

• Seems to ride up on the torso when the hood is up

The Aria Down Vest by Outdoor Research is one of my backcountry staples. I bought one last year and, due to its versatility (and multitude of color options!), convinced myself to purchase a second one this year!

Unlike other down vests I have tried, the fit is slim — it doesn't turn you into a marshmallow — but not restrictive. It's warm yet lightweight and the hood gives me an extra layer of warmth. I am especially appreciative of the hood at the beginning of a winter excursion as it helps me to bridge the chilly transition from the start of the trailhead to the point when my body begins to heat up. I also like being able to put the hood up and down as needed over the course of a trip without having to dig through my pack to switch between hats.

The vest pairs well over a soft shell layer (the OR Ferrosi Jacket is my personal favorite) or under a hard shell on really cold days. It is so lightweight that I have even carried it with me on summer days when the summit can be cold, cloudy, and windy. The 650-fill down provides warmth yet compressibility (see photo below next to 1L water bottle), tucking easily into my pack without taking up too much real estate.

OR-vest.jpg

My only criticism (and I'm being picky here) is that when the hood is up the torso of the vest seems to ride up. I have a long torso, so this may be more an issue related to my body proportions. However, a little extra length in the hood would be appreciated, especially if I am layering it over a winter hat.

Overall, this is a great vest that I have enjoyed on and off the trail. I am hoping I will be able to resist purchasing a third color next season! Here it is (below) worn over my OR Ferrosi Hoodie.

snowshoe3.jpg
snowshoe5.jpg

This was my best purchase this year! The vest is stylish,…

Summary

This was my best purchase this year! The vest is stylish, lightweight, toasty warm, and fits great. The hood is comfortable and functional. The vest compacts easily and pops out ready to wear, looking good as new!

Pros

• Warm
  • Stylish
  • Compactability

I bought this vest in basic black and it is so stylish that I wear it everywhere with everything! It layers well over sweaters, flannels, and thermals AND is sleek enough to wear under my other coats for extra warmth, comfortably, without looking bulky.

The vest itself, fits great, is toasty warm, lightweight and compact. The rip cord adjustment on the hood makes it extremely functional and comfortable, keeping it in place and out of my eyes.

I am impressed with the overall construction and quality. Plus, I can roll this vest up into a compact storage bag, confident that it will be wrinkle-free, ready to wear, and will look great when I pull it back out.

Outstanding value!

Visit Outdoor Research's Aria Down Vest page.

You'll be singing from the mountaintops when you're bundled up in the cozy Outdoor Research Women's Aria Down Vest. This fluffy vest features an ultralight 15D ripstop shell and 650-fill goose down that help the vest pack up small when you stuff it in your pack, and an adjustable insulated hood for hunkering down in nasty whiteouts. Two zippered hand-warmer pockets heat up chilly digits, and the quilted stitching makes the Aria as fit for a night at the lodge bar as it is for the mountains.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Women's Aria Down Vest FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Women's Aria Down Vest Lightweight Breathable Fully Adjustable Hood Internal Front Zip Stormflap Two Zippered Hand Pockets Internal Zippered Pocket Drawcord Hem Stuff Sack Included SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Women's Aria Down Vest Weight: (M): 9.7oz / 274 g Standard Fit Center Back Length: 26in. /65 cm 100% polyester, 20D ripstop shell and lining 650 Fill Down insulation This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Incredibly lightweight and compressible, the Aria Vest from Outdoor Research is built to keep you cozy with high-quality goose down insulation and a fully adjustable hood. It packs down small, so it's easy to bring along.This product will be shipped directly from Outdoor Research and will leave their warehouse in 2-3 business days. Eligible for UPS ground shipping only.

- EMS

You'll quickly be singing the praises of the Aria Down Vest from Outdoor Research when it provides just a little extra warmth for your core with 650+ down fill insulation. Even if you're out for chilly November camping you'll stay warm back at camp while you're building the fire with 2 zippered handwarmer pockets and a full hood, with stretch binding at the armholes and dual-drawcord hem adjustments to keep your body heat in.

- Mountain Gear