Outdoor Research Aurora Bivy

OR is a company that stands behind their products!

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: I don't remember

Summary

OR is a company that stands behind their products! And they make some really good gear.

Pros

• Quality materials

Ok, I have to admit that I have not used THIS bivy since I got. But I have used my old OR bivy before this one and I basically wanted to recount my story of customer satisfaction.

I bought one of the original OR bivy sacks from a friend many years ago, after he had already used it for several seasons in Montana. Over the years, the silicon-impregnated material developed that tacky, icky feel and smell...you know how old gear gets. It got to the point that I didn't want to use it anymore for fear that it wouldn't be waterproof on the bottom.

I was going to just toss it out but decided to contact OR in case they knew of a remedy for restoring the fabric. And they did. They sent me a brand new Aurora bivy sack, no questions asked. I was very impressed by this gesture, and most grateful.

I am now looking forward to some hikes in Colorado using this new bivy. It is of very good quality and appears that it will hold up to the elements well. I plan on using it as a backup for when I can't find suitable conditions for my hammock. It is light and compact enough that both can be carried. I will update my review once I have some more experience with it.

Thanks OR!

PS--I do not have any connection to OR whatsoever. They simply demonstrated excellent product commitment and I am grateful.

The bivy sack works as advertised. I have only used…

Design: Bivy Sack
Ease of Setup: Very easy to set up
Weight: 1.5 lbs

The bivy sack works as advertised. I have only used this at altitude because at lower altitudes I will get internal condensation. Using this at altitude and having a temperature differential between the inside and outside of the bag allows it to vent vapor through the Gore-Tex laminate.

It is roomy enough for your bag and even a few small things inside. It is roomy enough to use your clothes as a pillow on the inside.

My biggest complaint is the zipper orientation. If the zipper was on the side, it would be easier to get in and out. With the zipper around the head and chest getting in can be a slight pain.

This is a good bivy sack for a single overnight trip. Great for climbing, but for more comfort and room to live in, one of the new lightweight single wall tents will probably be better if you care to carry an extra 1.5 to 2 pounds.

Visit Outdoor Research's Aurora Bivy page.

The Outdoor Research Aurora Bivy(TM) offers weather protection, breathability and a svelte pack weight. This versatile bivy has been through solo thru hikes, kayak trips and mountaineering in the Alaska range. The Aurora excels in a wide variety of conditions thanks to 3-layer GORE-TEX(R) Respiration Positive(TM) breathable fabric which manages condensation while shielding you and your down bag from frost, rain and snow. Waterproof fabric with fully taped seams Durable Hydroseal(R) coated floor Anti-fungal coating on floor No-see-um netting at opening Hood Hinges Back to Vent Excess Heat Three stake loops; two guy-line loops Small internal mesh pocket

- OMCgear

Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Aurora Bivy FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Aurora Bivy Waterproof Highly-breathable Gore-Tex fabric body Durable Hydroseal coated floor Anti-fungal coating on floor Fully taped seams No-see-um netting at opening Three stake loops, two guy line loops Small internal mesh pocket SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Aurora Bivy Weight: 23.5 oz / 665 g 100% nylon, 3-layer Gore-Tex Respiration Positive filament ripstop fabric 100% nylon floor, pole tunnels, stuff sack This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Packing ultra-light doesn't equate to sleeping cold with the Aura bivy from Outdoor Research. Neither the insect population nor rain and snow will bother you thanks to the GORE-TEX waterproof protection and insect netting while the 3-stake system and guy line loops keep your bivy in place and leave you with plenty of room.

- Mountain Gear

Designed for the solo adventurer who strives for the lightest load possible. Perfect for backpacking, bicycle and kayak touring and backcountry climbing trips. Waterproof, breathable three-layer Gore-Tex Respiration Positive fabric keeps rain and snow out while allowing water vapor to escape as you sleep, preventing condensation buildup. Polyurethane-coated nylon floor is durable and waterproof. Taped seams ensure that no water seeps through, even if you set it up on wet ground. No-see-um netting at opening keeps bugs out. Imported. Capacity One person. Weight 1 lb. 8.5 oz. Length 84"L. Girth 25"W. Packed Dimensions 13"L x 4"W.

- L.L.Bean