Outdoor Research Axiom Jacket

THE lightweight breathable hardshell. The arms are…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

THE lightweight breathable hardshell.

Pros

• Super lightweight
  • Gore quality waterproof

Cons

• Not a lot of warmth

The arms are a little long, which is OK with me in a climbing jacket. I am an average built guy and it fits good, the previous owner complained that it was a little short at the waist, due to a long torso. There are a surprising number of adjustable features on this jacket considering how light it is.

It's GORE-TEX. I'm pretty sure they cover submarines in that stuff. This is the best waterproof breathable shell available. Outdoor Gear of the Year 2012 awarded to prove it. Not very warm, but it's not supposed to be. There's plenty of room for fleeces and insulation, it is designed to be a hardshell. I'm curious to see how strong the material is against rocks the first time I climb with it, but it brushes off branches and sticks no problem.

All I have to say is that this jacket was designed by people who know what their doing. If you want a packable waterproof shell that you won't even realize your wearing, this is the one.