Outdoor Research Backcountry Organizers

A great lightweight, well though out organizer for…

Summary

A great lightweight, well though out organizer for hiking, backpacking, or general travel needs. Features loads of internal compartments, waterproof zippers, and quality construction from thin but durable nylon. This review is of the medium sized option, or #2.

Pros

• Many well thoughout and useful internal compartments
  • Lightweight and easily packable non-rigid structure
  • Solid construction
  • Comes in three different sizes

Cons

• Potential tradeoff between lightweight build and longterm durability
  • A little pricey for a small organizer when not on sale

From the manufacturer:

The Backcountry Organizers have a multitude of pockets and compartments designed to hold small items. They're the perfect place to start if you're building a DIY dopp kit or first aid kit.

Fabric 100% nylon,70D with TPU lamination // 100% siliconized nylon 30D

DIMENSIONS / 1: 7" x 5" x 2"/ 18 cm x 13 cm x 5 cm 2: 9" x 51/2" x 21/2" / 23 cm x 14 cm x 6 cm 3: 91/2" x 5" x 4" / 24 cm x 13 cm x 10 cm #1: #35111 #2: #35116 #3: #35121 AVG. WEIGHT / 2.9 oz / 82 g 3.4 oz / 98 g 3.4 oz / 96 g

Avg. Weight (oz./g): 3.4oz / 98g (#2)

These are a very nice line of well thought out organizers from OR. I use mine for a kit of essentials that I take on all my hikes which includes matches, multi-tool, emergency blanket, lighting, etc..(see below). The design is very nice, and there are a multitude of internal pockets which allow for good flexibility for whatever purpose you intend to use it for. I find I can use the #2 size for a whole host of essentials (shown below), with plenty of room to spare if I need to add anything else.

What I actually prefer over other organizers I have used before is the fact that it is non-rigid which makes it much easier to pack, especially in an already full backpack. The smooth outer is also nice as it has no points of abrasion or potential snagging that might damage other more delicate items in your pack when you are reaching for it and dragging it out from the bottom of your pack!

20140215_121250.jpg

external view, with one external pocket

20140215_121854.jpg

a useful handle, great to hang and dry should you ever get it wet

20140215_121333.jpg

Internal view: note all of the compartments

20140215_121655.jpg

Usual contents I keep in it

Construction and Durability: I am generally a big fan of items that are lightweight but also retain solid construction and reasonable durability, and this item falls into that range for me. The fabric is very thin and light, but remains reasonably robust that I don't worry about tearing it.

As always, there is a tradeoff for lighter materials and durability and in that sense this product is no different, and I do fear that its weak point going forward will probably be a failure of the internal mesh pocket. However, I have scored it five stars, as so far it has held up perfectly.

I have always had great results with OR products and this is no different. The build quality is excellent.

I would say the downside is the price, msrp is between $30-35 for the range of sizes so it certainly isn't on the cheap side. However, I did manage to get mine on sale, and for $18, compared to the bulkier, and much less flexible organizer I was using previously, I would say it is a worthwhile investment, and I would happily recommend it to anyone looking to keep their backpack organized and keep weight down.

This is likely also a great product for any avid lightweight travelers.

G00SE

Just curious what is the black bag-looking thing next to your first aid kit?

TJ1984

Microfibre towel

David Drake

I have the #1 size that I use each time I head out. It's not as lightweight as I'd like it but the compartmentalization is super nice to have. I would rate the Backcountry Organizer 5 stars as well!

If you've owned or used an Outdoor Research Backcountry Organizers, please share your experience.