Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack

A well built summit pack that is able to carry the…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

A well built summit pack that is able to carry the essentials and tools when bagging peaks from a base camp.

Pros

• Tool capability
  • Keeps gear dry
  • Packs small
  • Dual purpose

Cons

• Straps have a tendency to slide
  • Hot to wear

I sought out this pack to fill a unique need. I wanted a summit bag that held about 30 liters, could hold tools like ice axes, crampons, and skis, and be frameless so that it could stuff inside a multiday pack. The OR DryComp Ridge Sack hit every one of those categories.

For tool capability, the pack includes an external mesh pouch which holds crampons well. There are also two compression straps on either side which can be used to attach skis in an A-frame style. Additional there are two ice axe/trekking pool loops.

As you can see from the picture, because there is no frame, the weight of the skis does pull away from the shoulders. Also, the compression straps are not specifically designed to carry skis and therefore the skis sit high raising the center of gravity.

Trailspace-OR-summit-pack-review-004.jpg

Since this pack is designed as a summit pack and NOT as a structured day or backcountry ski pack, the issues mentioned above do not lower my rating of the pack. The fact that I could attach skis and carry crampons externally on this pack was a great bonus.

When not loaded with skis, this pack sat very comfortably on my back.

Trailspace-OR-summit-pack-review-007.jpg

Due to the lack of frame system it is important to load this bag so that hard/pointed objects are not directly next to you. In the picture above, the pack was holding a ski helmet, gloves, a puffy, a headlamp, a first aid kit, and a liter of water.

Trailspace-OR-summit-pack-review-001.jpg

In the picture above I had the first aid kit on the bottom, followed by my helmet which I placed dome side out with the gloves on the inside, followed by my puffy, headlamp, and water. By placing my gloves in my hat I was able to keep cushion all along my back.

Another aspect of this bag that I appreciate is that it serves two features. By design it is a dry bag which means you can use it as such during extended overnights in the backcountry.

Trailspace-OR-summit-pack-review-008.jpg

This allows me to limit the number of extra dry bags I carry since I can unpack any contents at camp and use this pack to bag the summit.

Finally, the DryComp Ridge Sack packs down to the size of about a 32 oz. bottle. I was able to roll it up and place it in the water bottle holder on one of my larger packs which made for easy carrying.

Trailspace-OR-summit-pack-review-010.jpg

The only negatives I have were that the pack is warm against the back and the straps tend to slide over time. The warmth on the back should be expected since the pack is a dry bag and is therefore not breathable against the skin. This issue did not result in a reduction of any stars however because this is not a design flaw with the pack. The half star was removed because of the straps sliding, particularly the sternum strap. During all of the hikes I have used this pack on I have needed to re-position the sternum strap every 30 minutes or so.

I would highly recommend this pack to anyone looking for a versatile summit pack. It should be noted that this is NOT a day pack and would not perform comfortably under that type of usage.

CBMGrammy

What's the weight, Jim?

1 year ago
Jim51111 GUIDE/OUTFITTER

It is right around 17 ounces.

1 year ago

Visit Outdoor Research's Drycomp Ridge Sack page.

Weighing in just a touch over 17 ounces, the waterproof Outdoor Research DryComp Ridge Sack protects your technical gear from the wettest weather without adding undue weight to your back. Roll the top of this backpack closed, toss your ice axes on the back, throw the shoulder straps over your shoulders, and start your trek to the summit. Strong shell material and welded seams ensure that this sack will stand up to anything you'll encounter on your peak-bagging mission or alpine climbing route.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack Durable Waterproof Lightweight Waterproof Roll-Top Closure Durable Buckle Closure Radio Frequency Welded Seams Breathable Mesh Shoulder Straps Reinforced Bottom and Back Pocket Bungee Cord Compression Straps Dual Adjustable Ice Axe Loops SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack Average Weight: 17.1 oz / 485 g Dimension / Rolled: 26 x 11 x 6 1/2in. / 66 x 28 x 17 cm Volume: 1891 cubic inches / 31 liter 100% nylon, 70D, TPU 100% nylon, 420D, TPU This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack keeps your gear completely safe from rain, snow, and river crossings. Lightweight mesh shoulder straps, bungee compression/storage, and two adjustable ice axe loops let you load tons of gear with you without all the weight and bulk of a full pack. Perfect for light alpine climbing and peak bagging.

- Mountain Gear

The Outdoor Research Drycomp Ridge Sack is an ultralight and waterproof day pack has all the features needed for a fast and light summit push.

- CampSaver.com