Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters

Stopping to put on gaiters can be a hassle. Not with…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Outdoor Research for testing and review)

Summary

Stopping to put on gaiters can be a hassle. Not with the Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters — just step-in, zip-up, and keep on trekking. The Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters are stretchy, abrasion and water-resistant softshell gaiters that are great for hiking or snowshoeing.

Pros

• Easy to put on and take off
  • Flexible (stretchy)
  • Durable (abrasion-resistant)
  • Breathable

Cons

• On the heavy side (5.1 oz)
  • Expensive
  • Water-resistant, not waterproof
  • A little too hot for summer

185.jpg

About the tester:

I am a 30 year-old female from South Carolina who is 5'4". I wear a size 8.5 shoe and selected the S-M size. I typically go on day hikes and overnight hikes in the Southern Appalachians.

Testing conditions:

The Endurance Gaiters were tested over two months in dry, rainy, and muddy conditions in the Southern Appalachians.

Features:

Drawcord

7.jpg

The top of the Endurance gaiters have a drawcord to seal out elements and to ensure that you have the perfect fit on your calves. It is also helpful in adjusting the height of the gaiters.

Side-winding Zipper

139.jpg

189.jpg

1.jpg

The side-winding YKK zippers on the gaiters are a great feature because the angle creates a smooth and quick zip. The bright neon color stands out very well against the black body of the gaiter, making it very easy to see.

3.jpg

The zipper is covered by a very durable, weather-resistant flap and tabs at the top and bottom ends.

Instep Strap

2.jpg

The BioThane instep strap is extremely durable. I took this shot yesterday, after wearing them for two months of hiking. It is amazingly clean and still completely intact. The instep strap on the gaiters that I currently own started to tear up after just one hike. I don't think the Endurance gaiters will ever have to be replaced due to the instep strap wearing out.

195.jpg

Heel Grip

6.jpg

The inside of the gaiters are soft fabric, but the heel has sticky grip to help keep the gaiters in place.

196.jpg

Inner Leg

5.jpg

The inner leg has a very tough, abrasion-resistant panel. This provides protection from crampons or micro-spikes. I never would have thought of this, but I think it is a great concept!

Toe Clips

4.jpg

192.jpg

The toe clips are 1.5" apart and attach to the top of the shoestring. The uppers that cover them are made of stretchy elastane, giving the gaiters a more flexible feel.

PUTTING THEM ON:

Putting on the Endurance gaiters is so quick and easy! To me, this is their best selling point. All you have to do is step in, zip them up, and adjust the drawcord and you are ready to roll!

045.jpg

046.jpg

049.jpg

Performance:

I tested these in all sorts of weather.

Nice weather:

I wore them in sunny conditions at about 75 degrees with dry ground. They are well suited for that sort of weather.

Hot weather:

When I hiked in them in temperatures above 80 degrees, I found them to be too hot and had to remove them. They are breathable, as they are made of softshell, but not breathable enough for hot weather. I think they would be perfect for spring, fall, and winter.

Rainy weather:

When I wore the gaiters in a light drizzle, they performed wonderfully. The raindrops rolled right off of them. I also wore them in the pouring down rain. They certainly did their job at blocking debris and keeping water out of my shoes, but they absorbed the moisture after a while. When that happened, they got really heavy, making it harder to walk. That also happened when walking across a series of balds that had just been rained on. They repelled the moisture for a while, but eventually became soaked when sloshing through the wet grass, so I took them off.

213.jpg

Here you can see the moisture rolling off of them.

They excelled in mud. I wore them on many muddy trails and the mud and water splashed right off of them.

141.jpg

I stomped through this big mudhole and this is how they came out:

142.jpg

Snow:

I cannot say how they performed in snow because I could not find any in the south during my summer testing period. However, I do feel that they would do very well in the snow. If I am able to keep them through the winter, I will happily update you on snow performance.

Conclusion:

Rocks, sticks, sand, mud...you name it, it doesn't stand a chance against the rugged Endurance gaiters. They are impressively durable, yet also very flexible. I recommend them for spring, fall, and winter, but I do not recommend them when it is pouring rain or when it is hot outside.

You mentioned the price as a con. Are they worth the price? The draw cord is something I really wish my gaiters had.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Goose, I do think that they are worth the price. I mentioned that they are expensive because I typically spend $30-$35 on gaiters. The drawcord is a very nice feature.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Nice review Ashleigh. These have been on my radar(pewter/ember variation.) This review helped me quite a bit. Thanks.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks, Rick! I am glad the review was helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that can further help. If you get them, I'd love to know what you think!

robyn

Great review! I'm looking for gaiters that I can use in most seasons in Maine. I'm very curious about how they would do in snow, however. Maybe you can update your review this winter. Thanks!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks, robyn! I will gladly update the review once I find some snow.

The Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters are lightweight and protective soft shell gaiters built to provide plenty of stretch for athletic movement in the mountains. A step-in, zip-up design allows for easy on and off in treacherous terrain, and abrasion-resistant kick panels protect ankles from errant crampon spikes.

- CampSaver.com

Outdoor Research Endurance GaitersBuilt lightweight, durable, and easy to move in, the Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters is the perfect footwear to wear up in the mountains. These technical softshell gaiters shield you from the elements without hindering your movement. They block the wind, rain, dirt, snow, and pebbles from entering your shoes while being worn on your lower legs. The molded boot section offers a durable protection against abrasions and scratches, while the abrasion-resistant kick panels prevent damage from crampon spikes. For greater mobility when you move up and down the mountain, the gaiters' mirror-moving stretch adapts to every movement of your legs and ankles. The Endurance Gaiters are also easy to put on, thanks to its step-in, zip-up design. Other features of the gaiters include hook/loop front closures, shear tabs (for the side closures), and BioThane instep straps. This product is constructed of double-weave fabric made of 50% nylon, 43% polyester, 7% spandex. Work your way up and down the mountain wearing these Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiters.

- SunnySports

Outdoor Research designed Endurance Gaiters to move with you so you can conquer the steeps without having to dig rocks, sticks, and scree out of your boots every few feet. The stretchy uppers are made with elastane for a natural-feel that moves with your body without binding or pinching.

Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiter FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiter Durable Water Resistant Breathable Movement- Mirroring Stretch Abrasion-Resistant Inner Leg Molded Boot Section Hook/Loop Front Closure withzipper Hook/Loop-Covered Zipper Closure Shear Tab Secures Side Closure Lightweight BioThane Instep Strap SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Endurance Gaiter Weight: per pair: (L/XL): 5.1 oz / 146 g 50% nylon, 43% polyester, 7% spandex double weave This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The Endurance is a technical soft shell gaiter built to be lightweight and protective, and to provide plenty of stretch for athletic movement in the mountains. A step-in, zip-up design allows for easy on and off in treacherous terrain, and abrasion-resistant kick panels protect both fabric and ankles from errant crampon spikes.

- RockCreek