Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants

My go-to for my first spring hike this season! Wooohooo,…

My go-to for my first spring hike this season!

• Flexible
  • Breathable
  • Pull cord in cuffs for cinching
  • Dry easily

Wooohooo, it's finally hiking season again! I've owned my OR Ferrosi Pants for a year now, and they have made me a very happy hiker! I can't say enough about OR's Ferrosi material. It's lightweight, breathable, and stretches to allow easy movement on steep hiking terrain.

The Ferrosi Pants are a great option for spring hiking as they can be adjusted easily as the temperatures change. I appreciate having the full length of the pant on chilly mornings. As I heat up and the weather warms during the climb to the summit, the pant can be converted into capri length. There is a pull cord in the cuff, which can be cinched to fit snuggly against your leg. I've hiked for miles with the pants adjusted to capri length and have had no issues with the cuff slipping, or with chafing from the pull cord. Here is a photo- please excuse my blinding white legs!

A constant to New England hiking, especially in the spring, is water — rain, rivers, muddy trails, etc. The Ferrosi material dries quickly, and does not seem to chafe the skin even when it is wet. The pockets are great as well. There are two standard pant pockets in the front and back, and the two back pockets have zipper closures. There is also a front zipper pocket midway down the thigh. If I'm going to be taking pictures as I hike, I often stick my phone in this pocket- it's the perfect size.

All and all, I'm really happy with the Ferrosi Pants. As a bonus, they fit really well, are incredibly comfortable, and look great! I've been known to wear them even when I'm not planning an outdoor adventure!

Nice review. Enjoy the spring weather!

Thanks, GOOSE!

Extremely comfortable, great wind resistance, very…

Extremely comfortable, great wind resistance, very stretchy, and fit great.

• Comfort
  • Wind resistance
  • Good fit

I was in the market for a wind resistant pair of pants (not windproof as I get warm absurdly easily), after having wearing (and loving) the Ferrosi Jacket for a couple of years, I decided to try these out.

The first time I tried them on, I loved them. I then wore them out on a bike ride in 45 degree weather, and wondered how I ever lived without them. Right when I got back from my bike ride I bought another pair. These pants are great, from a leisurely walk in the woods all the way up to extreme activities.

As with all of my Outdoor Research products, they are well made, very durable and extremely comfortable. These are the most free moving pair of pants I've ever come across. It almost feels like wearing sweatpants the way in which they stretch so well. I can't imagine doing a movement that these pants would hinder.

5 stars, highly recommended.

Thanks for the review, Andy. Any chance you have pics of your pants in action you'd be willing to add to your review?

Excellent lightweight pants. The thinnest softshell…

Excellent lightweight pants.

• Tough
  • Stretch
  • Not too hot in hot weather
  • Breathable

• None in warm weather

The thinnest softshell pants I have seen, but a much more substantial feel than the wispy ultralight nylon pants. Some people use these over a baselayer in winter as well, as they are water repellent and wind resistant, but I have the Marmot Durango for that.