Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants

My go-to for my first spring hike this season! Wooohooo,…

Summary

My go-to for my first spring hike this season!

• Flexible
  • Breathable
  • Pull cord in cuffs for cinching
  • Dry easily

Wooohooo, it's finally hiking season again! I've owned my OR Ferrosi Pants for a year now, and they have made me a very happy hiker! I can't say enough about OR's Ferrosi material. It's lightweight, breathable, and stretches to allow easy movement on steep hiking terrain.

The Ferrosi Pants are a great option for spring hiking as they can be adjusted easily as the temperatures change. I appreciate having the full length of the pant on chilly mornings. As I heat up and the weather warms during the climb to the summit, the pant can be converted into capri length. There is a pull cord in the cuff, which can be cinched to fit snuggly against your leg. I've hiked for miles with the pants adjusted to capri length and have had no issues with the cuff slipping, or with chafing from the pull cord. Here is a photo- please excuse my blinding white legs!

A constant to New England hiking, especially in the spring, is water — rain, rivers, muddy trails, etc. The Ferrosi material dries quickly, and does not seem to chafe the skin even when it is wet. The pockets are great as well. There are two standard pant pockets in the front and back, and the two back pockets have zipper closures. There is also a front zipper pocket midway down the thigh. If I'm going to be taking pictures as I hike, I often stick my phone in this pocket- it's the perfect size.

All and all, I'm really happy with the Ferrosi Pants. As a bonus, they fit really well, are incredibly comfortable, and look great! I've been known to wear them even when I'm not planning an outdoor adventure!

Nice review. Enjoy the spring weather!

OutdoorKelly

Thanks, GOOSE!

The Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants are extremely comfortable.

Summary

The Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants are extremely comfortable. They are breathable, water-resistant, wind-resistant, and move with you during activity.

Pros

• Comfy
  • Stretchy
  • Zippered back pockets and zippered thigh pocket
  • Water-resistant
  • Wind-resistant
  • Ankle adjustment
  • OR Infinite Guarantee

Cons

• Not fully waterproof

I bought these pants (that are technically rock-climbing pants) in an attempt to get some super comfortable hiking pants that move with me and that were not baggy on my legs. These are not Outdoor Research (OR)'s most slim fitting pants but they are not "relaxed." I bought these at Rock Creek in Chattanooga, Tenn., by recommendation of one of their employees and I could not be more happy with my purchase.

Right away when I put them on, I noticed how amazing they felt and how lightweight they were. My pants, which are size 32 regular weigh 10.1oz.  They have a lining on the waistband that is super-soft and feels amazing up against your skin (and under a pack). I also loved the belt loops, they are sturdy but big enough to fit your belt through with no problem. They also have two zippered back pockets (which I like to keep things secure) and a convenient zippered thigh pocket.

In the store they felt stretchy, but they really proved themselves to me on the trail. The way that these pants stretch and move with you is incredible. There was very little to no restriction in movement, even on the tricky parts of the trail.

I wore these on a hiking day that was very windy (25mph gusts) and was around 35 degrees. Under them I wore a lightweight Columbia Omni-Heat base layer. I stayed very comfortable these entire day and the wind-resistance proved to be true for these pants. Some wind broke through them, but they really helped knock the chill off of the big gusts.

One amazing feature of these pants in the ankle adjustment. You can cinch down these pants to stay in place around your boots and to keep the elements out. The adjustment it done with a drawcord and there is a little pocket type space for the buckle to sit it so that it doesn't get in the way or get caught on anything (great attention to detail by OR).

This would have been a feature that I wouldn't have really cared about, but on the trail I found out where it really comes in handy for me. I cinched them down over my boots while crossing a stream and I ended up stepping in a part that was a good bit over the top of my boots. With the pants cinched down and the water resistance of them, my feet stayed dry! I got out of the deep part quick, but the water-resistance and ankle cinch gave me that extra bit of time before my feet got wet, which would have made for a miserable rest of the trip!

I highly recommend these pants to anyone looking for a comfortable pair of hiking pants that can help keep the elements out. Plus, they come with Outdoor Research's Infinite Guarantee, so if anything ever goes wrong with them, they'll fix them or replace them... you can't beat that!

IMG_2289-1-.jpg

IMG_2296-1-.jpg

image.jpg

Great review and pictures of your OR pants, Ben! Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Old Guide

Good photos and review-thanks

Extremely comfortable, great wind resistance, very…

Summary

Extremely comfortable, great wind resistance, very stretchy, and fit great.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Wind resistance
  • Good fit

I was in the market for a wind resistant pair of pants (not windproof as I get warm absurdly easily), after having wearing (and loving) the Ferrosi Jacket for a couple of years, I decided to try these out.

The first time I tried them on, I loved them. I then wore them out on a bike ride in 45 degree weather, and wondered how I ever lived without them. Right when I got back from my bike ride I bought another pair. These pants are great, from a leisurely walk in the woods all the way up to extreme activities.

As with all of my Outdoor Research products, they are well made, very durable and extremely comfortable. These are the most free moving pair of pants I've ever come across. It almost feels like wearing sweatpants the way in which they stretch so well. I can't imagine doing a movement that these pants would hinder.

5 stars, highly recommended.

Thanks for the review, Andy. Any chance you have pics of your pants in action you'd be willing to add to your review?

Excellent lightweight pants. The thinnest softshell…

Summary

Excellent lightweight pants.

Pros

• Tough
  • Stretch
  • Not too hot in hot weather
  • Breathable

Cons

• None in warm weather

The thinnest softshell pants I have seen, but a much more substantial feel than the wispy ultralight nylon pants. Some people use these over a baselayer in winter as well, as they are water repellent and wind resistant, but I have the Marmot Durango for that.