Outdoor Research Ferrosi Shorts

The most comfortable, versatile hiking shorts I own!

Summary

The most comfortable, versatile hiking shorts I own!

Pros

• Comfort
  • Fit
  • Breathability
  • Flexibility

Cons

• Length

I love these shorts! They are comfortable, lightweight, breathable, and look great on the trail! I've even had hikers stop me as we pass one another to ask where to get a pair for themselves.

OR uses a combination of spandex and ripstop material in the construction of these soft shell shorts. As a result, they are durable, lightweight, and flexible. The material wicks moisture away. Wearing my Ferrosis, I've often dipped into trailside swimming holes on hot summer days, and after I've rejoined the path to continue on my hike, the material has dried quickly with no chaffing.

The use of spandex in the design ensures that my range of movement is unrestricted, which is especially helpful on steep terrain. Other hiking shorts I've worn seem to be either durable or flexible, but OR has mastered both with the Ferrosi. The shorts also keep their shape well and stay in place throughout your adventure.

When selecting a size, I'd suggest going with something on the lower end of what you normally wear. Due to the flexibility of the material, the shorts are form-fitting without feeling restrictive.

I like the length of these, but they are a bit longer than the shorts I usually wear. I would love to see OR come out with a shorter length option. I would certainly be a customer!

By far the most comfortable hiking shorts I have ever…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

By far the most comfortable hiking shorts I have ever worn.

Pros

• 4-way stretch material
  • Perfect length
  • Fast drying
  • Multi sport capable

Cons

• Fabric can pill in high friction areas

I live and hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and have worn these on every trip this summer. The 4-way stretch material allows for full range of motion and is also very comfortable against my skin. It also drys quickly after a rain storm and does not feel clammy on humid days. The shorts go to the tops of the knee which I find to be the perfect length.

When deciding what to wear during a triathlon that consisted of biking (both on road and single track) followed by swimming, and finishing with a hike up Cannon Mountain I chose these shorts. They did not chaff during the bike ride, performed perfectly as a swim suit, and dried quickly and kept me cool during the hike.

My wife has the women's version and she feels the same way about her pair. These really are the perfect shorts.

The only con is that the fabric may pill in high use areas. This does not impact the quality at all and did not lead me to reduce the rating.

Free Shipping. Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Short FEATURES of the Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Short Wind Resistant Breathable Durable Belt Loops Button and Zipper Fly Low-Profile Waist Fits Under Harness Brushed-Tricot-Lined Waistband Front Slash Pockets Zippered Thigh Pocket SPECIFICATIONS of the Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Short Weight: 8.0 oz / 227 g Standard Fit Inseam: 12in. / 30.5 cm 86% ripstop, 14% spandex, stretch woven This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

The men's Outdoor Research Lightweight, rugged and wind-resistant, the highly breathable soft shell fabric of these shorts offers ample stretch for smooth movement, and tough abrasion-resistance against rough rock. Ideal for scrambling and climbing, the Ferrosi Shorts? have become a favorite of our athletes and OR staffers by offering burly protection for dancing up tight chimneys or squeezing through narrow slot canyons.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

The Outdoor Research Ferrosi Shorts are the ideal hiking and backpacking soft shell shorts: lightweight, rugged, wind resistant and highly breathable, with ample stretch for smooth movement during long strides. Outdoor Research Athlete Ambassadors and employees invariably turn to these soft shell shorts for hiking, backpacking and more.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Desert sandstone or Cascade granite, the soft shell Ferrosi Shorts are ideal for rock climbing and hiking. They provide durability against abrasive rock, weather resistance, high breathability, and ample stretch for free-flowing movement.

- EMS refers to the men's version

Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Shorts - The Men's Ferrosi Shorts by Outdoor Research are the ideal rock climbing and hiking soft shell shorts. Lightweight and never too hot, these shorts breathe exceptionally well on an exposed belay high off the deck. Rugged and wind resistant, with stretch for smooth movement when scrambling and climbing, these shorts provide protection for rough and rugged alpine and rock environments. Desert sandstone or Cascade granite, the Ferrosi Shorts are ideal for rock climbing and hiking; They provide durability against abrasive rock, breathability and ample stretch for free-flowing movement. When the sun comes out and you have the urge to climb to your hearts content, make sure you have the Men's Ferrosi Shorts by Outdoor Research.

- Outdoorplay refers to the men's version