Outdoor Research Highcamp 3-Finger Gloves

Good but not perfect. A compromise between warmth…

Price Paid: full retail

Summary

Good but not perfect. A compromise between warmth and dexterity that works reasonably well in most situations.

Pros

• Dexterity is good
  • Very warm
  • Excellent fit after fiddling
  • Reasonably water resistant

Cons

• Supplied liner glove and velcro is redundant
  • Could be more breathable
  • Not really true to size

I had a pair of the original Mutant and wanted to replicate the functionality of the original, the military version being too heavy and stiff by comparison.

Going by the OR website sizing guide I ordered a pair of XL but they were too big, I then ordered a pair of Large but they turned out to be a tad small and tight.

Luckilly I had in my stash a pair of early OR liner glioves in a very LW single sided fleece that were less than a third the thickness of the supplied liners and this changed the fit from slightly tight to superb.

I don't suffer from cold hands normally, but when I need gloves I need very good ones, and with a trigger finger glove I don't lose the feel for my ski poles or the ice axe.

As a bonus these layer well under the OR Goretex mittens I already owned or the newer Mt Baker shell.

I've been using these for ski touring in the Victorian Bogong High Plains [Australia so conditions very much like Scotland] now for three seasons and have DWR treated them with a Nikwax spray on each year and so far they still look like new with only a little fraying and wear on the leather palms.

They are not totally weatherproof and my hands do get a bit damp from sweat inside them but they have dried out quickly enough each night so I have no real complaint. In a real storm I would not hesitate to don the shell mitten over the top for a very strong and warm system.

I do think Outdoor Research should marketĀ  the insulated glve without a liner tho so the purchaser could select the best liner for the best fit

Overall probably one of the better cold weather compromises I have used in the last 30 years and with care they should last me another 3 or 4 years of skiing before needing to be retired

Nice review of your OR gloves, Moondog. Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your various shell and liner gloves you could show others in your review?