Outdoor Research Maestro Jacket

This jacket is light and minimal compared to how much…

This jacket is light and minimal compared to how much heat it can retain. Very high quality down, hence the price. What is good is the warmth, fit and simplicity. Plus it packs into its own pocket and can double as pillow.

I slept in this jacket comfortably with base layer and thermo pants in an Outdoor Research bivy sack in about (-7C/20F) and was comfortable. Only thing was that it was quite windy but I still got a bit clammy in the sack, did not keep it too open and got cold on my back in the morning from moisture. A synthetic jacket might have worked better!? But it dried up quickly.

What I like with the fit is that it has very long arms, you almost don't need to wear gloves, just drop the arms over your hands. The hood is so and so if you expect full protection. But I'm used to and prefer face mask/balaklava if there is cold wind, without stuff restricting your sight anyway.

The zippers are minimal and a bit hard to operate with gloves on, so I recommend that you add a little extra string, but this is common with many jackets.

The outer material does not seem too water proof or durable, but I could be wrong. So far I have no rips. And have not tried it in wet conditions, which I would say it's not made for anyway.

Have not washed it either and can not say how that will turn out, but if I do and it's not good, I'll let you know.