Outdoor Research Megaplume Jacket

I finally put up the funds for a quality down belay…

Fabric: Pertex Endurance
Fill: 650+
Price Paid: pro-deal

I finally put up the funds for a quality down belay jacket/parka. I'm primarily a rock climber, but I'm starting to accumulate gear to eventually begin alpinism/mountaineering.

I live in Detroit, so the mercury plummets pretty far, but this jacket is incredibly warm. The hood is large and definitely accommodating for a helmet (or a head full of dreadlocks), but also easily removed by zipper and the zipper itself hides with a flap.

The loft is really nice and light, but at 650+ fill power it isn't an ultra-light. The Velcro on the front draft/storm flap I can imagine icing over, but I haven't put it up to that test yet.

I'm pretty small, so my only complaint is that their "small" is too big. I stand about 5'4" 135lbs, with a slightly smaller chest than what this is measured for. It's not a big deal though because if you use this jacket for what it's for, mountaineering/climbing, then you'll presumably be layering a bit.

Also, Outdoor-Research's "Infinity Guarantee" is exciting. Putting up the funds for something like this is hard to do sometimes, but when a company really stands behind their product, it helps influence your purchasing decision.

Outdoor Research Megaplume Jacket

The Megaplume Jacket has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Research Megaplume Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016