Outdoor Research MicroNight Bivy

I have used the MicroNight Bivy in my backyard, on…

Design: Bivy Sack with high tech breathable fabric, bug screen
Ease of Setup: None, pull out of bag and get in
Weight: 15oz.-About a Pound-stuff sack is the size of a 1lb Coffee can

I have used the MicroNight Bivy in my backyard, on my Catalina 25 Sailboat on Lake Travis, Lost Maples State Park, Pedernales River Wolf Mountain Trail, Lake Georgetown, Lake Stillhouse Hollow, Lake Belton, and have never been more comfortable will less effort. The ThermaRest Luxury BaseCamp pad and the MicroNight provide effortless sleeping. No bugs or rain problems. All homeless people should have these. I have used it without any sleeping bag, with a cotton sleeping bag liner, with a fleece bag, and a regular 4lb fleece lined +32 degree bag depending on the temperature. All worked great. My chihuahua Goldie shares the MicroNight with me and has never complained.

I carried the MicroNight as my only shelter on an…

Design: Bivy, no pole
Ease of Setup: Doesn't get any easier than this.
Weight: 17 ounces/ 500 grams

I carried the MicroNight as my only shelter on an ultralight 44-mile hike in the Washington Cascades in summer. By tying the top of the bivy up to a handy tree, I achieved the same effect as a pole in heavier bivies, with just a piece of thin cord. The mesh in the entry expanded as I pulled the top upward, which kept the fabric off my face for a comfortable night's sleep with excellent ventilation and no bug bites. I encountered light sprinkles only, and was kept dry in those conditions; I have yet to encounter heavy rain in this bivy. Overall, I am very happy with the design and extremely light weight of this minimalist shelter.

Outdoor Research MicroNight Bivy

The MicroNight Bivy has been discontinued.

The Outdoor Research MicroNight Bivy is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 18, 2010 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new bivy sack, check out the best reviewed current models.